Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
What You Need to Know About Utah Politics Today - January 28, 2014
Lockhart hits Herbert. Same sex marriage may be a smaller issue on the Hill in 2014. Dabakis says he sees a need for "Count My Vote."
Today's Utah news highlights:
- 44 days until the final day of the 2014 Legislature
- 147 days until Utah's 2014 primary elections
- 280 days to the 2014 midterm elections
- 643 days to the 2015 elections
- 708 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses
- 1014 days to the 2016 presidential election
On this day in history:
- Speaker Becky Lockhart, sounding very much like a candidate for governor in 2016, comes out swinging against Gov. Gary Herbert on the opening day of the 2014 Legislature [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News].
- It's all about defending the status quo on the first day of the legislature in the Utah Senate [Utah Policy].
- There will be two competing rallies on either side of the same-sex marriage debate Tuesday evening at the Capitol [Tribune].
- There may be an uneasy cease fire in the same-sex marriage fight on the Hill this year [Tribune].
- Rep. Merrill Nelson is proposing a bill to allow Utahns to contribute to the defense of Amendment 3 on their income tax returns [Q Salt Lake].
- Liquor laws could cause a split between the House and the Senate [Tribune].
- Utahns oppose raising the gas tax to pay for transportation [Tribune].
- Legislative leaders say they don't expect any tax hikes this year [Standard-Examiner].
- The committee investigating John Swallow will not continue due to time constraints [Utah Policy].
- Right now, there are more than 70 education bills slated for consideration during the 2014 session [Standard-Examiner].
- Senate Minority Leader Gene Davis says lawmakers should focus on education funding in 2014 [Utah Policy].
- Sen. Jim Dabakis says, while he opposes "Count My Vote," he sees a real need for choosing candidates by direct primary instead of caucuses [Utah Policy].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch is part of a group of three Republicans in backing a plan to replace Obamacare [Tribune].
- Sen. Mike Lee will focus on economic inequality during his response to the State of the Union Address on Tuesday night [Deseret News].
- Congress passed legislation creating the U.S. Coast Guard in 1915.
- Louis Brandeis, the first Jewish member of the Supreme Court, was appointed in 1916.
- Elvis Presley made his first national TV appearance in 1958.
- A cease fire officially went into effect in the Vietnam War in 1973.
- The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded 72 seconds after liftoff in 1986.
- The U.S. House approved a huge $819 billion stimulus bill in 2009.
Today At Utah Policy
|Lockhart Hammers Herbert on Opening Day of 2014 Legislature|
Let the 2016 gubernatorial campaign begin.At least that appeared the caseMondaywhen Utah House Speaker Becky Lockhart who is retiring this year and may run for governor in two years -- took after GOP Gov. Gary Herbert in her opening remarks....
|Utah Senate: Holding the Line in 2014|
The opening of the 2014 Legislature on the Senate side featured an emphatic message about "holding the line," whether it be on governmental power, alcohol or taxes....
|House Committee Investigating Swallow Won't Continue|
Within a few days expect the chair of the special John Swallow investigative committee to open at least two bill files that, at some point, will be filled with the committee's recommended changes to Utah campaign and election law aimed at stopping the abuses Swallow is alleg...
|Another Owens Jumps into Utah Politics|
Replace one moderate Democrat with a great Utah political name with another moderate Democrat with an equally great Utah political name?Doug Owens hopes Democrats and Republicans alike in the 4thCongressional District see the wisdom in such a move....
|Sen. Wayne Niederhauser Previews the 2014 Session (Video)|
Sen. President Wayne Niederhauser talks about the 2014 Utah Legislature which gavels into session on Monday morning.He sits down with Managing Editor Bryan Schott to discuss a number of issues facing lawmakers as they get back to work....
|Hatch Proposes Obamacare Replacement|
National Review's Yuval Levin posts an in-depth analysis of Sen. Orrin Hatch's newly unveiled conservative healthcare reform plan, which Levin says "has enormous promise."...
"Advice is judged by results, not by intentions."
Cicero Quotations Page
Low in the Polls
"Here's something I find hard to believe. Anthony Weiner makes between three and four hundred thousand dollars a year as a political consultant. Anthony Weiner! How bad are you doing in the polls when you start saying to yourself, 'What would Anthony Weiner do now?'" Jay Leno Political Humor