Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Friday, January 6, 2017
Utah Policy has passed 3000 likes on Facebook!
Thanks for making Utah Policy the most popular Utah political news outlet on social media.
You can join our growing online community by clicking here.
Morning Must Reads for Friday, January 6, 2017
Good Friday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 6th day of the year. There are 359 days remaining in 2017.
America, not Mexico, will pay for Donald Trump's border wall. Russian leaders celebrated Trump's win. Joe Biden tells Trump to "grow up."
- 14 days until Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President (1/20/2017)
- 20 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (1/23/2017)
- 62 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (3/9/2017)
- 305 days until the 2017 municipal elections (11/7/2017)
- 669 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
- 1397 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Ten talking points for Friday:
- The marketplace of ideas. Bob Bernick argues Gov. Gary Herbert needs to use his political muscle to push some "big ideas" during the next four years [Utah Policy].
- Dropping some knowledge. Watch our week in review where Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott break down what happened in Utah politics [Utah Policy].
- Who's gonna pick up the tab? Donald Trump and House Republicans are getting ready to build the wall between the U.S. and Mexico, but the money will come from American taxpayers [Politico]. In an early Friday morning Twitter rant, Trump lashed out at the media, saying he would force Mexico to reimburse the U.S. for the wall [CNN].
- Russian election meddling. U.S. intelligence agencies intercepted communications between senior officials in Russia celebrating Donald Trump's win as a victory for Moscow [Washington Post]. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper tells the Senate Armed Service Committee the extent of Russia's meddling in the 2016 election [Wall Street Journal]. U.S. intelligence sources say they've identified how the Russian government got information to Wikileaks in an effort to tip the election in Trump's favor [CNN].
- Savage clap back. Outgoing Vice President Joe Biden rips Donald Trump saying the President-elect needs to "grow up" [PBS].
- Jobs report. Economists expect the final monthly job report during Barack Obama's presidency to show a gain of 183,000 jobs and an unemployment rate of 4.7% [Wall Street Journal].
- Repeal and defund. House Republicans say cutting off federal funding for Planned Parenthood will be part of the legislation to repeal Obamacare [The Hill].
- Ready for the call. Sen. Mike Lee says he would accept a nomination to the Supreme Court if Donald Trump offers it [Deseret News].
- Obamacare assault. Utah's members of Congress are chomping at the bit to join the fight to overturn the health care law [Tribune].
- An offer you should refuse. The average interest on a payday loan in Utah is 459 percent. That's double what the New York Mafia charged in the 1960's [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1838 - Samuel Morse first publicly demonstrated his telegraph, in Morristown, N.J.
- 1961 - Vice President Richard Nixon made official that he had been defeated by Sen. John F. Kennedy in one of the closest presidential elections in history.
- 1994 - Figure skater Nancy Kerrigan was clubbed on the right leg in an assault planned by the ex-husband of her rival, Tonya Harding.
Today At Utah Policy
|Hatch: Time is Now to Repeal Unworkable and Unaffordable Obamacare|
In a speech on the Senate floor coinciding with consideration of a resolution to repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said the higher taxes, fewer choices and less access to care resulting from Obamacare ...
|Weekly Survey: Will Republicans Undo Bears Ears?|
Last week, President Barack Obama created the Bears Ears National Monument in southern Utah. Utah Republicans have declared war on the designation, vowing to undo the new monument. Do you think they'll be successful? Vote now in our weekly survey....
|Casual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report|
Outdoor Notes-- Tribune: International history motor group honors Salt Flats -- Tribune: Utah ski resorts offering lesson deals this month Weekend EventsNew Films-- Hidden Figures: Tribune review -- Hunter Gatherer: Tribune review -- A Monster Calls: Tribune review Concerts ...