Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, October 13, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Thursday, October 13, 2016
Good Thursday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 287th day of the year. There are 79 days left in 2016.
Mike Lee and Misty Snow debate. Multiple women come forward to accuse Donald Trump of unwanted sexual advances. Trump's polling numbers are in a tailspin.
- Four days to the 1st Congressional District debate at Weber State University (10/17/2016)
- Six days to the 3rd Congressional District debate at Utah Valley University (10/19/2016)
- Six days to the third presidential debate at UNLV (10/19/2016)
- 19 days to register to vote online in Utah (11/1/2016)
- 26 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 102 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 147 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Thursday:
- Mike Lee and Misty Snow hold a mostly friendly debate for U.S. Senate [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune].
- Doug Owens shifts his campaign advertising spending to better target voters who plan to use mail-in ballots [Utah Policy].
- Multiple women come forward and accuse Donald Trump of inappropriately touching them. Two women detail stories about Trump groping them on an airplane or forcing himself on them at Trump Tower [New York Times]. A woman who worked at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort alleges Trump groped her at a concert 13 years ago [Palm Beach Post]. A group of Miss Teen USA participants says Trump walked into a dressing room unannounced while they were changing [Buzzfeed]. A reporter for People magazine claims Trump forced himself on her during an interview at the Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida [Politico].
- The lurid tape of Donald Trump bragging about groping women has sent his poll numbers into a tailspin [Politico]. Most of Trump's polling troubles are driven by women and independent voters who are abandoning the GOP candidate en masse [The Hill].
- Curioser and curioser. A leaked email shows then DNC vice-chair Donna Brazile may have had the exact wording of a question prior to a CNN town hall featuring Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders [Politico].
- Google searches for "write-in" jumped more than 2,800% over the last week. But, most of the searches are not coming from battleground states, but solidly Republican and Democratic strongholds [CNN].
- Sen. Mike Lee is canceling a number of Utah campaign events to instead hit the road to support vulnerable GOP Senators in other states [Tribune].
- Donna Weinholtz, the wife of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mike Weinholtz, will face misdemeanor drug charges from a local prosecutor after federal investigators declined to press charges against her for using medical marijuana [Deseret News, Tribune].
- The LDS Church wants President Barack Obama to reject a report on religious liberties [Tribune].
- Enrollment is rising at most of Utah's public colleges. Utah Valley University is still the largest university in Utah in terms of enrollment [Deseret News, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1775 - The Continental Congress ordered the construction of a naval fleet.
- 1792 - The cornerstone to the White House in Washington was laid. (It would be November 1800 before the first presidential family -- that of John Adams -- moved in.)
- 1960 - Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy participated in the third televised debate of the presidential campaign, with Nixon in Hollywood, Calif., and Kennedy in New York.
Today At Utah Policy
|Snow Holds Her Own in Debate with Lee|
This is what a political debate should be – intelligent, civil, short answers, policy-driven without personal insults, badgering or talking over one another....
|Trump, Clinton, McMullin Tied in New Utah Poll|
Donald Trump's support in Utah is apparently beginning to collapse. A new survey from Y2 Analytics finds Trump is tied with Clinton at 26% in Utah. Independent candidate Evan McMullin is statistically tied with the two major-party nominees at 22%. ...
|Cybersecurity: Why it Matters for Businesses Large & Small|
As the statewide voice for business, the Salt Lake Chamber is taking an active role in the discussion of cybersecurity this October by participating in National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, a month dedicated to recognizing the importance of cybersecurity awareness, from th...
Salt Lake Tribune
Editorial: In the end, Hillary Clinton is the only qualified candidate, and the best choice
Utah in 50 years: Bigger, older
Utah poll: McMullin is gaining as Trump slips and Clinton stays steady
Enrollment up at all but one of Utah's public colleges
Wife of Utah Democratic candidate for governor to face medical marijuana charge
Salt Lake City Council still awaiting word from mayor on impact fees as deadline looms
Lee cancels Utah events to campaign for Republican Senate candidates
Senate race: Mike Lee and Misty Snow draw stark contrast in respectful debate
Mormon church, others urge Obama to renounce report on religious freedom
'You need a culture of transparency': Consultant gives UTA ideas to improve credibility and openness
Utah got nearly $300K to eradicate pot plants and how many did it wipe out? Zilch
Dan Liljenquist: Personal character and presidential politics
A. Scott Anderson: Good leadership requires political participation by all
Op-ed: Flipping the script on poverty
Op-ed: Legislature and public education
Editorial: Initial results hopeful for Rio Grande's 'Operation Diversion'
UTA chief to present proposed budget for 2017
5 things you may not know about Mindy Finn, Evan McMullin's running mate
Swallow wants prosecutors to produce DOJ report that ended without charges
'No longer an island unto itself': Utah in 50 years will be older, more crowded, more diverse than ever
Challenger accuses S.L. County mayor of 'pay-to-play' politics; McAdams calls allegations 'absurd'
UVU still largest as enrollment climbs at nearly all Utah colleges and universities
Lee, Snow try to highlight differences in tame U.S. Senate debate
New focus on Utah as poll shows Trump and Clinton tied, McMullin close behind
Editorial: We can in no way support Trump for president (Daily Herald)
Jason Chaffetz, Stephen Tryon have vastly different visions for third congressional district (Daily Herald)
Senate candidates Mike Lee, Misty Snow overlap on some issues, divided on others at debate (Daily Herald)
McMullin attracts hundreds to Logan town hall event following polling success (Logan Herald Journal)
California DA brings complaint against 2 firms for 'illegally selling' fetal tissue (Politico)
As protesters accuse her husband of rape, Clinton blasts Trump's 'scorched earth' tactics (Washington Post)
Clinton camp eyes three red states (The Hill)
Trump demands retraction of NYT article (The Hill)
ABC Does Story About Bill Clinton's Response to 'Accusers' Without Mentioning Women's Names, Sexual Allegations (Free Beacon)
Emails: Podesta Listed 'Needy Latinos' for Hillary to Call (Free Beacon)
Trump attacks Clinton, Ryan at Ocala rally (Sun-Sentinel)
Anti-Catholics for Clinton (Wall Street Journal)
Trump camp calls on Clinton to fire aides over emails mocking Catholics (FOX News)
Clashes erupt in Portland, Ore., over new police rules (Los Angeles Times)
Trump is not alone: How some tax policy favors the rich (Washington Post)