Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 293rd day of the year. There are 73 days left in 2016.
Utah lawmakers have $1 billion in cash in various state accounts. The third presidential debate in Las Vegas could be extremely nasty. Donald Trump calls for term limits for Congress.
- The 3rd Congressional District debate at Utah Valley University is tonight (10/19/2016)
- The third presidential debate at UNLV is tonight (10/19/2016)
- 13 days left to register to vote online in Utah (11/1/2016)
- 20 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 96 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 141 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Utah lawmakers have nearly $1 billion cash sitting in various state accounts [Utah Policy].
- Rep. Chris Stewart has a big campaign cash advantage over Democrat Charlene Albarran. Most of Stewart's donations this cycle have come from PACs while nearly 90% of Albarran's money is donations to herself [Utah Policy].
- There are quite a few indications that the race between Rep. Mia Love and Democrat Doug Owens is tightening up [Utah Policy].
- The third and final presidential debate is Wednesday night in Las Vegas. The showdown between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton promises to be the nastiest one yet [Politico]. Trump has asked Barack Obama's half-brother to be his guest at the event, while billionaire Trump provocateur Mark Cuban will be Clinton's guest [CNN].
- Donald Trump says he will push for a constitutional amendment imposing term limits on members of congress [NBC News].
- President Barack Obama tells Donald Trump to "stop whining" about a rigged election [Huffington Post]. Experts say it's nearly impossible to actually rig a presidential election [Washington Post]. Utah election officials push back against Trump's assertions that the election is rigged against him [Tribune]. However, a number of top GOP officials are fearful widespread voter fraud could steal the election from Trump [Politico].
- Salt Lake City sets aside nearly $30 million to boost the amount of affordable housing and to purchase sites for new homeless facilities [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Mike Weinholtz makes an emotional appeal for the legalization of medical marijuana in Utah after his wife pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession charges [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Rep. Derrin Owens is proposing a statewide registry for convicted child abusers [Deseret News].
- A coalition that includes the Salt Lake NAACP, Democratic legislators, and GOP Chairman James Evans are calling for an audit of the Salt Lake City School District. The group alleges among other things that the school board is under serving minority students on Salt Lake's west side [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1765 - The Stamp Act Congress, meeting in New York, adopted a declaration of rights and liberties which the British Parliament ignored.
- 1781 - Britain's Lord Charles Cornwallis surrendered with more than 7,000 troops to Gen. George Washington at Yorktown, Va., effectively ending the American Revolution.
- 1987 - the stock market crashed as the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 508 points, or 22.6 percent in value, to close at 1,738.74.
Today At Utah Policy
|The Owens/Love Race is Far From Over|
There's something really weird going on in Utah's 4th Congressional District race that leads me to believe it's going to be closer than expected come November....
|Chaffetz, Crapo May Not Abandon Trump After All|
Rep. Jason Chaffetz tells The Daily Caller that he's waiting to see how Donald Trump performs in the final presidential debate before making a decision on whether to vote for him in November. Earlier this monthseveral prominent Mormon politicians pulled their endorsements of...
|CCAGW PAC Endorses Utah Candidates|
The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste Political Action Committee (CCAGW PAC) announced its endorsement of three Utah candidates: Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) for re-election to the U.S. Senate, and Reps. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and Mia Love (R-Utah) for re-election to ...
|Connexion Point to Expand Utah Headquarters|
The Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Connexion Point announced the technology-enabled healthcare services company will expand at its Utah headquarters, adding up to 221 jobs and an expected $9 million in capital investment....
Being in Haste
The devil takes a hand in what is done in haste. Turkish Proverb
"President Obama is winding down his time in office. He's got less than 100 days left. But he's keeping busy, still pushing his agenda, he's working to fight climate change, he's shortening sentences for drug offenders, every night he goes down to the basement to visit Merrick Garland, his nominee for the Supreme Court." Jimmy Kimmel