Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, October 20, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Thursday, October 20, 2016
Good Thursday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 294th day of the year. There are 72 days left in 2016.
Evan McMullin grabs the lead in Utah. Trump refuses to say whether he'll accept the election results if he loses. Orrin Hatch is making noise about running for another term in 2018.
- 12 days left to register to vote online in Utah (11/1/2016)
- 19 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 60 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president [12/19/2016)
- 92 days until Inauguration Day (1/20/2017)
- 95 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 140 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Thursday:
- A brand new poll shows independent candidate Evan McMullin taking the lead over Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in Utah [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch is making more noise about running for another term in 2018 [Utah Policy].
- Legislators will hold another special session in November to fix road funding allocations [Utah Policy].
- Sin City Showdown. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton face off in their final debate of the 2016 election [Politico]. Trump horrifies almost everybody by refusing to say whether he would accept the results of the election if he loses [CBS News]. A snap poll shows voters overwhelmingly think Hillary Clinton won the third debate [CNN].
- Most voters think the media is biased against Donald Trump [Politico].
- Jason Chaffetz and Democrat Stephen Tryon clash over Hillary Clinton's emails and the presidential candidates in their debate [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee aren't totally on board with Sen. John McCain's vow to block any and all of Hillary Clinton's Supreme Court nominees [Tribune].
- Utah lawmakers are considering making changes to how the Utah Transit Authority Board is selected [Tribune].
- Legislators are looking at boosting funding for the DABC [Tribune].
- Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski says the city council's decision to allocate $30 million for affordable housing and homeless services could "unravel" the entire budget [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1803 - The U.S. Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase.
- 1918 - Germany accepted terms to end World War I.
- 1947 - The U.S. House of Representatives Un-American Activities Committee opened public hearings into alleged communist influence in Hollywood.
- 1973 - During the Watergate scandal, President Richard Nixon dismissed two officials for refusing to fire special prosecutor Archbald Cox. The incident became known as the "Saturday Night Massacre."
- 2011 - Moammar Gadhafi, Libya's dictator for 42 years, was killed two months after his regime fell.
Today At Utah Policy
|Education and Utah's Economy|
Now, more than ever, education is the surest path to economic success - not just for individuals, but also the community....
|Study Reveals Utah Has the Right Ingredients for an Inland Port|
Findings from an inland port study conducted by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute and commissioned by World Trade Center Utah confirm Utah meets many of the essential criteria for developing an inland port. The study provides recommendations for next steps decision makers ...
|PillPack Chooses Utah for Expansion|
The Governor’s Office of Economic Development and PillPack announced the innovative pharmacy service will expand its Utah operations, adding hundreds of jobs and tens-of-millions in capital investment to the community....
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Millennials willing to engage politically, and colleges can drive participation
Hatch, Lee say they would not back wholesale block of Clinton high-court picks
BLM pulls back oil and gas leases bought by Utah activist, author Terry Tempest Williams
Evan McMullin takes the lead in latest Utah presidential poll
Rep. Jason Chaffetz more interested in national publicity than serving Utah district, Democratic challenger says
Gov. Herbert endorses four Utah school board candidates
Utah lawmakers consider extra funding for state liquor agency
Hunters, conservation groups decry privatization of beloved Utah lands as SITLA sale nets $5.5M
Hillary Clinton's team says it will do 'everything we can' to win Utah
Utah could see primary runoffs under proposed election change
Biskupski says SLC council reckless in budget raid for housing, homeless
Medical marijuana? What's the right dosage? Ahead of Utah Legislature, lawmakers focus on research over legalization
State lawmakers considering changing how UTA Board is selected
Dan Liljenquist: Donald Trump and the failure of the mainstream press
Jay Evensen: Why Trump vs. Hillary is such a hard choice
New poll shows Evan McMullin leading Trump, Clinton in Utah
ER physician urges fellow lawmakers to consider funding medical marijuana research in Utah
Auction nets $ for Utah schools, sells off part of land in Bears Ears struggle
Chaffetz, Tryon clash over presidential candidates, cyber security
Final debate between Trump and Clinton may help McMullin in Utah
Survey: Americans want paid family leave, and they support social programs for families
Editorial: Voters should say yes to Alpine bond (Daily Herald)
Doug Owens hoping presidential election turnout will work in his favor and against Mia Love (Daily Herald)
3rd Congressional District debate highlights Chaffetz, Tryon, differences in policy (Daily Herald)
Statehouse contenders disagree on air quality, education monies (Park Record)
Congressional Democratic candidate Clemens visits Logan for listening tour (Logan Herald Journal)
U.S. Urged Ecuador to Act Against WikiLeaks Leader Assange (NBC News)
Chris Wallace did Fox proud (Politico)
Kelly corners Brazile on leaked town hall question (Politico)
Trump cites James O'Keefe allegations during debate (The Hill)
Reporters at Vegas Debate Caught Cheering for Hillary (Gateway Pundit)
Dangerous idiots: how the liberal media elite failed working-class Americans (Guardian)
National Day after debate, Trump, Clinton square off again at roast (Associated Press)
Inside Trump's wall: Will it work? (Christian Science Monitor)
Trump Jr.: Running for president a 'step down' (CNN)
15 States Have Moved to Defund Planned Parenthood Since Undercover Videos Were Released (Daily SIgnal)
Yes, Hillary Clinton's Tax Plan Would Add to the National Debt (Fortune)