Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, October 31, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Monday, October 31, 2016
Good Monday morning and Happy Halloween from Salt Lake City. Today is the 305th day of the year. There are 61 days left in 2016.
Newly discovered Clinton emails roil the presidential race. The "Trump tapes" turned off Utah voters. Chaffetz headed toward a blowout victory in November.
- Tomorrow is the last day to register to vote online in Utah (11/1/2016)
- 18 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 49 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president (12/19/2016)
- 81 days until Inauguration Day (1/20/2017)
- 84 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 129 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Monday:
- About half of Utahns say the videotape of Donald Trump bragging about sexually assaulting women make them less likely to vote for the GOP nominee [Utah Policy].
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz has an insurmountable lead over Democrat Stephen Tryon ahead of next week's election [Utah Policy].
- Email hubbub redux.FBI director James Comey rocked the presidential race saying they are reviewing newly discovered emails possibly related to the Hillary Clinton email investigation. Those emails were on a device used by Clinton's top aide Huma Abedin and her former husband Anthony Weiner [CNN]. Here's what we know and don't know about what's in those emails [Newsweek]. Democrats and dozens of former prosecutors are furious that Comey would inject such inflammatory information into the discussion just days ahead of the election [Huffington Post]. The FBI discovered the new emails weeks ago [CNN]. Not to be outdone, Sen. Harry Reid accuses Comey of sitting on "explosive" information about Trump's alleged ties to Russia [CBS News].
- It's looking like the disclosure of the renewed investigation into Clinton's emails isn't having much of an impact in the presidential race. A new poll says about 1/3 of Americans say they're less likely to vote for Hillary Clinton because of the new email revelations, but most of those were already against Clinton [Politico].
- Early voting in the presidential election is tilting slightly toward Democrat Hillary Clinton [New York Times].
- Woah! Donald Trump reportedly offered New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie the VP slot on the GOP ticket before his political advisors objected and talked him out of it [Huffington Post].
- Another day, another email showing the presidential race in Utah is a toss-up [Tribune]. Donald Trump says losing to independent Evan McMullin in Utah would be "devastating" [Tribune].
- Big early voting numbers from Utah Democrats has them optimistic they could gain up to 10 seats in the Utah Legislature on election day [Tribune].
- Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Mike Weinholtz accuses Gov. Gary Herbert of paying women in his office less than men who do the same job [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Republican Richard Snelgrove has a 13-point lead over Democrat Catherine Kanter in the race for a hotly-contested at-large Salt Lake County Council seat [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1517 - Martin Luther began the Protestant Reformation by nailing a proclamation to the door of a church in Wittenberg, Germany.
- 1941 - The Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota was completed.
- 1968 - U.S. President Lyndon Johnson announced a halt to the bombing of North Vietnam.
Today At Utah Policy
|The Democrats' Bad Map|
Even as Hillary Clinton appears poised to win easily against a highly erratic candidate with a campaign in meltdown, a sobering reality awaits Democrats on Nov. 9. It seems likely that they will eke out at most a narrow majority in the Senate, but will fail to pick up the 30...
|Chaffetz Rocks Clinton Campaign With Single Tweet|
Hillary Clinton and her campaign surrogates are in damage control mode after House Oversight Chair Jason Chaffetz leaks the news that FBI Director James Comey is "reopening" his agency's investigation into Clinton's homebrew email system....
|Press Release: Don't Delay - Vote Today!|
Sherrie Swensen, Salt Lake County Clerk, is urging citizens to return their by-mail ballots. “This is the first vote-by-mail election held for a Presidential Election and I strongly encourage voters to mail their ballots before the deadline of November 7th,” said...
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Forty years later, BLM's multiple-use stewardship still works
Paul Rolly: To Republican purists meddling with Count My Vote: Be very careful what you wish for
Op-ed: Advance TPP to secure Utah's Pacific markets
Op-ed: Utah education is falling behind nation, and we need commit more dollars
Republicans giddy as FBI continues probe into Clinton email servers
Increased Democratic turnout spicing up Utah legislative races
Bundy trial in Oregon ended with a bang for Utah attorney
Envision Utah picked to plot a lucrative future for current prison site
Feds, Utahns worry that Oregon standoff verdicts will set violent tone for land battle
Weinholtz says Herbert is unfair to women in his office
Donald Trump says losing to Evan McMullin in Utah would be 'devasating,' likely cost him election
GOP's Snelgrove leads Kanter in Salt Lake County Council race
Trump leads (barely) in Utah, where voters are repulsed by major-party choices
Editorial: Let's get it together on reallocation of RDA funds
Democratic candidate for governor Mike Weinholtz: Gov. Gary Herbert pays men more than women
Carbon County eyeing new reservoir to meet future water demands
Ex-A.G. John Swallow raises new argument for dismissing criminal case against him
Love, Owens rematch trumped by presidential race
Election officials urge Utahns to vote despite 'uninspiring' presidential race
Affordable Care Act faces major test as enrollment opens for fourth time
Heirs apparent: Meeting Cache County's unopposed local candidates (Logan Herald Journal)
Summit County Council candidates discuss liquor laws in final forum (Park Record)
FBI gets warrant to review emails on Weiner's laptop in Clinton probe (The Hill)
Dems push Comey to release Clinton email details (The Hill)
Polls show battleground map tightening (Politico)
Trump on Weiner email bombshell: 'Boy, did I call that' (Politico)
Ryan pressured by conservatives, Trump backers (Associated Press)
FBI discovered Clinton-related emails weeks ago (CNN)
In Greeley, Donald Trump re-emphasizes skepticism over Colorado's mail ballots (Denver Post)
Stock market braces for political jitters as Fed likely to stand pat (MarketWatch)
Canada and EU Sign Trade Deal, Bucking Resistance to Globalization (New York Times)
Money pours in for anti-pipeline protest, but will it last? (Associated Press)
The Non-Affordable Care Act's Restaurant Recession (Wall Street Journal)