Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - October 8, 2013
Countdown: There are 29 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 113 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 388 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 825 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Rep. David Lifferth is working on legislation asking the federal government to turn over management of Utah's five national parks to the state if there's a government shutdown lasting more than 30 days [Daily Herald].
- Southern Utah counties are declaring a "local emergency" because of the tourist dollars they're losing due to the shutdown of national parks [Tribune].
- A number of sportsmen's groups call for Congress to end the shutdown because of the potential long-term economic pain for some rural areas [Tribune].
- More than 4,000 Utah defense workers report back to work after being furloughed because of the shutdown [Tribune].
- Utah Republicans says they will announce their organization to counter the "Count My Vote" group this week [KUTV].
- A new report says the price tag is too high for Kane County to pay for the proposed Lake Powell pipeline project [Tribune].
- Despite being tasked with finding ways to make the legislature run more smoothly, the Legislative Process Committee hasn't done much this year [Utah Policy].
- Rep. Chris Stewart talks about his experience co-authoring Elizabeth Smart's memoir [Deseret News].
- John Swallow accuser Jeremy Johnson wants to use the money seized from him by federal prosecutors to hire lawyers for his defense [Deseret News].
- Mitt Romney buys a mansion in Park City [Tribune].
- Salt Lake County officials say they've identified the first case of influenza requiring hospitalization this season [Deseret News].
- NSA officials confirm the new data center in Bluffdale experienced a number of electrical failures during testing [Deseret News].
- Utah education officials plan to address Utah's high school drop out rate, which was nearly 20% in 2012 [Tribune].
- Some budget cuts to Utah juvenile detention centers are actually costing taxpayers more [Tribune].
Today At Utah Policy
|Time Running Out for Legislative Process Committee|
When it was announced during the 2013 Legislature that the Legislative Process Committee would be reorganized, reappointed and take on some substantive reforms during this current interim, there appeared to be some real hope that several lingering problems in how the Utah Le...
|Poll: Political Peril Building for Republicans|
So far, the shutdown looks like it's backfiring on Congressional Republicans. A new poll says Americans oppose shutting down the federal government to block Obamacare by a 3-1 margin. Additionally, Democrats have opened a 9-point lead on the generic Congressional ballot over...
|Politico: Vouchers Don't Help Students Much|
Politico has a fascinating look at school voucher programs across the country. They find these school choice programs cost a lot of money, but don't do much to help students....
|Sen. Mike Lee: Obama is Acting Like a Despot (Video)|
Sen. Mike Lee went on Fox News to respond to criticism from fellow Republican Rep. Peter King and to discuss whether President Obama will negotiate to end the shutdown.King said Lee's shutdown tactics to stop Obamacare are "doomed to fail." Lee responded that King was "just ...
|Reid Donates (Dirty?) Money to LDS Church|
Harry Reid's leadership PAC donates $10,000 to the Mormon Church after Reid's 2007 fundraiser, Harvey Whittemore, is sentenced to prison for campaign finance violations....
|UtahPolicy.com/KSL Insider Survey: Who is to Blame for the Shutdown?|
Who is at fault for shutting down the government? Our insiders and readers weigh in. Full results below. Who do you think is to blame for the shutdown of the federal government? | Create infographicsSelected anonymous comments:"Congressional Republicans for listening and be...
Speed of Light
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
Douglas Adams,"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
On Your Own
"This shutdown is hurting everyone. Today Michelle Obama told fat kids: 'You're on your own. Eat a Happy Meal. I don't care.'" Jay Leno