Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, November 21, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Monday, November 21, 2016
Good Monday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 326th day of the year. There are 40 days left in 2016.
Greg Hughes is under consideration for a top slot in Donald Trump's administration. Do Utahns think they pay enough in taxes to fund education? Trump's approval rating jumps following his election.
- 28 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president (12/19/2016)
- 60 days until Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President (1/20/2017)
- 63 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (1/23/2017)
- 108 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (3/9/2017)
- 351 days until the 2017 municipal elections (11/7/2017)
- 715 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
Ten talking points for Monday:
- House Speaker Greg Hughes has been contacted by President-Elect Donald Trump's transition team about the Secretary of Transportation position, but Hughes calls the communication very preliminary [Utah Policy].
- About a third of Utahns say they should be paying more taxes to make sure public education is funded adequately [Utah Policy].
- Donald Trump's popularity among Americans has jumped nearly 10-points following his win on Election Day. That same poll found just 3 in 10 voters think Trump's children should be involved in his administration [Politico].
- Cabinet watch. Mitt Romney remains under "active consideration" for the Secretary of State job following his weekend meeting with Donald Trump [Utah Policy]. However, Rudy Giuliani is still the odds-on favorite for Secretary of State [CBS News]. Sen. Orrin Hatch is pleased with some of the initial moves Trump has made to build his staff and cabinet [Tribune].
- Barack Obama says he may forego the tradition of a president not commenting about their successor if Donald Trump if circumstances warrant [Politico].
- Donald Trump settles his Trump University lawsuit for $25 million [Bloomberg].
- Donald Trump met last week with some business partners from India, which is raising new questions about he will keep his administration and business dealings separate once he becomes president [New York Times].
- Donald Trump's trillion-dollar plan to fix America's crumbling infrastructure could run into the reality of the nation's budget deficit [The Hill].
- Rep. LaVar Christensen jumps into the lead in his race against Democrat Suzanne Harrison by just six votes in the latest tally [Tribune, Deseret News]. Democrat Catherine Kanter concedes her Salt Lake County Council race to Richard Snelgrove [Tribune].
- This year's election shows Salt Lake County is an island of Democratic blue in a sea of Republican red [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1877 - Thomas Edison announced his invention of the phonograph.
- 1922 - Rebecca Latimer Felton of Georgia became the first female United States Senator. Her appointment was temporary, as she served just 24 hours.
- 1973 - President Richard Nixon's attorney, J. Fred Buzhardt, revealed the existence of an 18 1/2-minute gap in one of the White House tape recordings related to Watergate.
- 1974 - Congress passed the Freedom of Information Act.
Today At Utah Policy
|Can Public Polling be Trusted Anymore?|
Public opinion polling took one directly on the chin on Election Day 2016 after polls had shown Hillary Clinton heading toward a big win. We all know how that worked out....
|Tower Work on Salt Lake City and County Building Completed|
Phase one of the stone repair work for the Salt Lake City and County Building has been successfully completed on the upper tower. This is part of a three-year program to restore building’s stone facade, repair windows, and perform a seismic upgrade of the historic buil...
"If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get." Frank A. Clark
Different Vice Presidents
"Vice President Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Mike Pence had lunch together. Pence was like, "I'm eager to discuss the issues facing our nation." While Biden said, "If you tell the waiter it's your birthday, you get a free piece of cake." Jimmy Fallon