Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
Do you want to weigh in on the big issues of the day? Become a member of the UtahPolicy.com/KSL "Political Insiders."
Send an email to us to let us know why you should be part of our select panel. Please include your party affiliation so we can add you to the right group.
Morning Must Reads for Tuesday, November 22, 2016
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 327th day of the year. There are 39 days left in 2016.
Utahns oppose carrying concealed weapons in public without a permit. Donald Trump will not pursue a criminal investigation against Hillary Clinton. Trump lays out his first 100 days in office.
- 27 days until the Electoral College meets to cast their votes for president and vice president (12/19/2016)
- 59 days until Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President (1/20/2017)
- 62 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (1/23/2017)
- 107 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature (3/9/2017)
- 350 days until the 2017 municipal elections (11/7/2017)
- 714 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Utahns overwhelming oppose a proposal to allow the carrying of concealed weapons in public without a permit [Utah Policy].
- There is an entirely plausible scenario that could allow Utah Democrats to win the U.S. Senate seat up for election in 2018 [Utah Policy].
- So much for "Lock Her Up!" Donald Trump will reportedly not pursue any criminal investigation into Hillary Clinton. MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski reports Trump feels Clinton "has been through enough" [Mediaite].
- Donald Trump lays out his policy plans for his first 100 days in office, which include backing out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and rolling back some environmental protections [CNN].
- Trump vs. the Media. An off-the-record meeting between Donald Trump and the heads of the big network news divisions turned into a "firing squad" as Trump reportedly dressed down those in attendance for they way he covered them during the election [New York Post]. Trump has pulled out of a scheduled meeting with the New York Times because he is upset with their coverage of his candidacy [CNN Money].
- A new poll shows most Americans think Donald Trump will do a good job as president [CNN].
- It will cost New York City $1 million per day to protect Donald Trump and his family when they are living at Trump Tower [Time].
- Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes says any talk of instituting a Muslim registry should be cause for great concern [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- A coalition of Utah businesses and conservative politicians are pushing for the Trump White House to tackle immigration reform [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- Envision Utah has started planning for how to develop the land at the Point of the Mountain once the prison is moved [Deseret News, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1963 - President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. Suspected gunman Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the 36th president of the United States.
- 1968 - The Beatles' "White Album" was released.
- 1998 - "60 Minutes" aired video of Dr. Jack Kevorkian administering lethal drugs to a terminally ill patient.
Today At Utah Policy
|Utahns Overwhelmingly Oppose 'Constitutional Carry'|
Three-fourths of Utahns oppose a bill by a state GOP legislator who wants adults to be able to carry a concealed gun without first having to obtain a concealed carry permit from the state, a new UtahPolicy poll finds....
|Republican Party is the Strongest Since 1928|
The GOP controls Congress, the White House and increased their hold in the states following the 2016 election, which puts the party in its strongest position since the Coolidge administration....
|Are We Headed for a 'Trump Recession'?|
Donald Trump already has one bit of historical precedent working against him as he prepares to take office. Economic recessions are more common under Republican presidents....
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Demo establishment handed us Trump on a platter
Nuke proponents seeking new deal with two Utah water districts
Utah House Speaker Greg Hughes in contact with Trump transition team
New coalition of Utah businesses, conservatives seeks immigration reform
'Clock is ticking' on plans for developing prison site
Great Salt Lake undergoing big changes in coming weeks - but are they too little, too late?
New homeless shelter announcement - any day now
Editorial: School Bonds evidence Utah support for education
Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox talks election, Trump and Silicon Slopes in new Beehive podcast
West Jordan City Council appointee wins seat by coin toss
Lt. governor spares turkey from getting the ax
Planners looking for Point of the Mountain vision
Lawmaker wants Utah voters to have voice on Daylight Time
Utah House Speaker Greg Hughes in contact with Trump team on transportation
If business is booming in Utah, why are there so many vacant storefronts? (Daily Herald)
Trump lays out agenda for first days in the White House (The Hill)
Young, restive Dems want change in House (The Hill)
A List of Priorities From Trump, and Kris Kobach Tips His Hand (New York Times)
Trump's first promises since winning the election leave out the border wall, NAFTA and his Muslim ban (New York Times)
Trump considering retired general who clashed with Obama, ex-Bush official for Homeland Security (Washington Post)
Charlie Baker calls Scott Brown 'worthy' of veterans post (Boston Globe)
North Carolina governor alleges voter fraud in bid to hang on (Politico)
Reince Priebus, Normalizer in Chief (New York Times)
Trump Airs Grievances, Fields Questions In Meeting With Top TV News Figures (NPR)
The secretive brain trust of Silicon Valley insiders who are helping Trump (Washington Post)
How Obama's unaffordable socialism could become Trump's smart conservatism (Washington Post)
"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." William Arthur Ward
A Long Time Ago
"Carrie Fisher said that she went public with her affair with Harrison Ford because she felt like she waited an appropriate amount of time. Specifically, she said it was "a long time ago in a Winnebago far, far away." Jimmy Fallon