Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
What You Need to Know About Utah Politics Today - November 6, 2013
Countdown: There are 82 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 363 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 790 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Lawmakers try to wrap their heads around how much data is missing from Attorney General John Swallow's office [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- Holly Richardson throws some serious shade on Swallow's claims of innocence about the missing records [Holly on the Hill].
- Voters overwhelmingly reject a proposed $495 million bond proposal by the Jordan School District [Tribune].
- Former legislator Ron Bigelow will be the next mayor of West Valley City [Deseret News].
- Incumbent mayors in Sandy, Midvale and Cottonwood Heights win re-election [Tribune].
- The Salt Lake City Council will see three new faces come January [Tribune].
- Bob Stevenson wins the Layton mayoral contest [Standard-Examiner].
- Daniel McArthur is ousted as mayor of St. George after two decades in that office [Tribune].
- Tons of new faces in Davis County as 10 cities elect new mayors [Standard-Examiner].
- Gov. Gary Herbert says lawmakers need to start considering a hike in the gas tax to fund future transportation projects [Standard-Examiner].
- Mitt Romney speaks at a sports symposium in Utah one year after losing the 2012 election [Tribune].
- Early snowstorms are bolstering Utah's snowpack numbers [Deseret News].
- A federal judge rules UDOT unfairly restricted the free speech rights of two groups by requiring they purchase insurance coverage before holding a rally to raise awareness about climate change [Tribune].
Today At Utah Policy
|Poll: Democrats are Better at Running Local Government|
A new survey says Americans think Democrats do a better job at the functions of local government than their Republican counterparts.The YouGov poll found that Democrats had an edge over Republicans in every category except one. Republicans get a slight nod when it comes to h...
|Powell Pushing Dual-Track Path to Primary Ballot|
State Rep. Kraig Powell stood stone-faced last summer at a Capitol Hill press conference where Count My Vote leaders announced their citizen initiative a change in Utah's primary election system whereby candidates would get on a primary ballot by getting signatures of 2 per...
|Lee's Pro-Family Tax Reform Plan|
The American Enterprise Institute's James Pethokoukis says the 2016 GOP presidential contenders would be smart to embrace Sen. Mike Lee's proposal to increase the per-child tax credit....
|Chaffetz: Naming of Agent an 'Outrage'|
Rep. Jason Chaffetz condemns the source behind a Washington Post report that revealed the name of a covert agent who criticized the Obama administration's bungled response to the Benghazi terror attacks....
"Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate."
Henry David Thoreau Quotations Page
"Con artists are using Obamacare confusion to sign people up for fake health insurance. The scammers lure victims with false promises like, 'If you like your healthcare plan, you can keep your healthcare plan.' The scammers will tell you that, so you have to be careful." Jay Leno Political Humor