Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Friday, November 8, 2013
What You Need to Know About Utah Politics Today - November 8, 2013
Countdown: There are 80 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 361 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 788 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Attorney General John Swallow lashes out at the house investigation into his office, saying it's becoming a "political crusade" to justify the cost [Tribune].
- Swallow also angrily denies allegations he deleted emails to cover up wrongdoing [Deseret News].
- A Provo company asks a judge to quash a subpoena from House investigators as part of the John Swallow probe, claiming it's a "fishing expedition" [Deseret News].
- Swallow's campaign coffers are growing, but the money may eventually go to pay his lawyers [Tribune].
- A new group launches with the aim of defending Utah's caucus system against the "Count My Vote" citizen initiative [Tribune].
- Bob Bernick says lawmakers would be smart to pass a proposal to create a "dual track" system for candidates to get on the primary ballot in Utah, but they won't [Utah Policy].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch votes in favor of a federal bill banning workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation while Sen. Mike Lee votes no [Tribune].
- The LDS Church reacts to a statement from Nevada Sen. Harry Reid who said the church is changing its views on gay rights [Deseret News].
- Sen. Steve Urquhart says he will again run a bill banning discrimination based on sexual orientation [St. George.com].
- Sen. Lyle Hillyard says Gov. Gary Herbert is going to have to lead out on any gas tax hike if it's going to pass in 2014 [Standard-Examiner].
- Utah lawmakers consider ways to address the cost disparity in educating inmates in state and county prisons [Standard-Examiner].
- A new study says minority students in Utah are making big gains in reading scores [Tribune].
- Opponents of a medical incinerator in North Salt Lake claim the company has lied about its compliance with federal regulations [Standard-Examiner].
Today At Utah Policy
|Glenn Beck Hammers Orrin Hatch|
Glenn Beck says Orrin Hatch was involved in bringing the NSA data center to Utah, making the Beehive State a target for a tactical nuclear strike....
|Orrin Hatch Hearts Chris Christie|
Not content to wait more than 48 hours after the 2013 election, Sen. Orrin Hatch says he would like to see New Jersey Governor Chris Christie as the GOP nominee in 2016....
|Bernick and Schott on Politics - Episode #167 |
If Utah Attorney General John Swallow is to be believed, he doesn't know how to use a computer. Also, Rep. Kraig Powell proposes a "dual track" system to get on the primary ballot. Plus lame jokes about "Thor."Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott discuss the week in Utah politics....
|Casual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report|
Outdoor Notes--Tribune: Hike of the week: Alexander Basin--Tribune: Solitude set to open Friday, starting Utah's ski season early--Tribune: Free entry at national parks in Utah, countrywide for Veterans Day-- For thelatest wildlife news and informationand thefishing reportvi...
|Why 'Count My Vote' Will Improve the Election Process|
Over thirty years in public service convinces me: public figures hold elective office for different reasons.Some are eager to provide service to their communities; others desire power and prestige.Others hold office for a mixture of those motives. ...
|Weekly Survey: The Missing John Swallow Files|
Legislative investigators are trying to figure out what happened to electronic files missing from Attorney General John Swallow's office. Do you believe Swallow's story that the missing files are a big coincidence, or do you think he's trying to cover something up? Vote now....
That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotations Page
"President Obama's Facebook account was hacked. It was hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army. When Obama found out about this, he said, 'Can you guys fix the Obamacare website?'" David Letterman Political Humor