Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Utah Policy Holiday Publishing Schedule
New Year's holiday, Utah Policy will publish on a reduced basis on Tuesday (12/31).
We will not publish a newsletter on New Year's Day.
Utah Policy will return to our full publishing schedule on January 2, 2014.
We hope you have a safe and happy holiday.
What You Need to Know About Utah Politics Today - December 31, 2013
Reyes sworn in as Attorney General. 10th Circuit sets expedited schedule for Amendment 3 appeal. Utah's population hits 2.9 million.
Today's Utah news highlights:
- 27 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature
- 175 days until Utah's 2014 primary elections
- 308 days to the 2014 midterm elections
- 671 days to the 2015 elections
- 735 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses
- 1042 days to the 2016 presidential election
This day in history:
- Sean Reyes is sworn in as Utah's next Attorney General [Tribune].
- Reyes says the estimated $2 million price tag for Utah to defend Amendment 3 in court is worth it [Tribune].
- The 10th Circuit Court sets an expedited schedule for the state's appeal of the ruling striking down Amendment 3 [Deseret News].
- Lawmakers will consider another constitutional amendment on marriage during the 2014 Legislative Session [Tribune].
- Sen. Jim Dabakis opines Utah's continued fight against same-sex marriage will damage the state's economy [Tribune].
- Utah's population hits 2.9 million as Census numbers peg the state's population as the second-fastest growing [Tribune].
- Utah loses out to Nevada as one of six test sites for unmanned aerial drones [Tribune].
- Bountiful gives four e-cigarette retailers they had ordered to close a one-year reprieve [Tribune].
- Parents are upset with the Jordan School District's plans to change school boundaries in order to deal with population growth [Deseret News].
- Flu season is hitting Utah. About 170 people have been hospitalized so far [KSL].
- President Abraham Lincoln signed an enabling act which set the stage for the Virginia's western counties to become the state of West Virginia in 1862
- Thomas Edison gave the first public demonstration of an electric incandescent lamp in 1879
- President Harry Truman officially declared the end of hostilities in World War II in 1946
- The Marshall Plan expired after providing more than $12 billion in foreign aid in 1951
Today At Utah Policy
|Bryan Schott: 14 Fearless Predictions for '14|
2014 is almost upon us. Time to take a look into the old crystal ball and see what might happen on the Utah political landscape next year. Here are 14 things I think will take place over the next 365 days....
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others."
Cicero Quotations Page
"George Zimmerman is auctioning an original painting for $100,000. $100,000? Man, this guy is getting away with murder." Stephen Colbert Political Humor