Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Friday, February 26, 2016
Friday's Talking Points - February 26, 2016
Good Friday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 57th day of the year. There are 309 days left in 2016.
GOP presidential candidates engage in a raucous debate ahead of Super Tuesday. Vice President Biden visits Salt Lake City on Friday. Paul Ryan is heading to Utah to raise money for Mia Love.
- The South Carolina Democratic Primary is tomorrow(2/27/2016)
- Four days to the "Super Tuesday" primaries and caucuses (3/2/2016)
- 13 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (3/10/2016)
- 24 days to the GOP presidential debate in Salt Lake City - (3/21/2016)
- 25 days to the Utah Republican and Democratic caucus meetings (3/22/2016)
- 33 days to the last day the governor may sign or veto bills (3/30/2016)
- 57 days to the Utah Republican and Democratic State Conventions (4/23/2016)
- 73 days to the last day a veto override session may begin (5/9/2016)
- 123 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 143 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 150 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 256 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
Ten talking points for Friday:
- The 10,000th GOP debate, and final one before "Super Tuesday," turned into a slap fight between Donald Trump, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz [Politico, New York Times, Washington Post].
- Vice President Joe Biden visits Salt Lake City Friday to talk about efforts to cure cancer [Tribune, Deseret News].
- House Speaker Paul Ryan is coming to Utah on Monday to raise money for Rep. Mia Love [Utah Policy].
- A new survey finds Utahns are split on whether the state should spend $14 million on a legal fight to take control of public lands in Utah [Utah Policy].
- The Utah Senate passes Sen. Mark Madsen's medical marijuana bill. The measure now moves to the House [2 News, Fox 13, Deseret News, Tribune].
- Rep. Curt Oda introduces legislation that would ban most common forms of abortion in Utah [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News, Fox 13].
- Sen. Gene Davis and Rep. Lynn Hemingway are taking some heat for praising the nation of Azerbaijan in the Legislature after taking a paid trip to the country [Tribune].
- Lawmakers again delay action on Rep. Rebecca Chavez Houck's "right to die" legislation [2 News, Fox 13, Tribune, Deseret News].
- Sen. Mike Lee turns in his list of signatures to secure a place on Utah's primary ballot [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- President Barack Obama meets with Sen. Orrin Hatch to discuss the vacancy on the Supreme Court [Utah Policy, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte and 1,200 men left exile on the Isle of Elba to start his 100-day campaign to regain France.
- 1929 - Wyoming's Grand Teton National Park was established following the signing of an executive order by President Calvin Coolidge.
- 1970 - National Public Radio was founded.
- 1987 - The Tower Commission issued its report on the Iran-Contra affair, rebuking President Ronald Reagan for failing to control his national security staff.
- 1993 - A powerful bomb exploded in the parking garage below the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000.
- 2012 - Trayvon Martin was shot to death in Sanford, Fla., during an altercation with neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who said he'd acted in self-defense.
Today At Utah Policy
|Poll: Utahns Divided on Public Lands Lawsuit|
Utahns are split over whether the state should spend $14 million suing the federal government to take control of millions of acres of federal land within our borders, a new UtahPolicy poll finds....
|Weekly Survey: Lobbying by the LDS Church|
So far this session the LDS Church has weighed in on medical marijuana and proposed hate crimes legislation. Have these efforts helped or hurt the legislative process? Vote in our weekly survey....
|Casual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report|
Outdoor Notes--Tribune: Recreation: Goose festival celebrates rite of migration-- For the latest wildlife news and information and the fishing report visit the?DWR websiteWeekend EventsNew Films-- Eddie the Eagle: Tribune review -- God’s of Egypt: Tribune review Concer...
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Superintendent opening is opportunity for ‘educating for greatness’
Op-ed: Utah should shine its moral light and end the death penalty
Editorial: Road easements shouldn’t be in Utah test range bill
Obama pulls Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch aside to press for Supreme Court confirmation
Bill to more tightly control Utah’s aerial drones fails to lift off
Bill allowing fatal prescriptions defeated again; Utah lawmaker says she will keep sponsoring until it passes
Utah lawmakers criticized for praise of Azerbaijan, where they took paid trip in 2013
Bill introduced to ban most abortions in Utah
Bill passes to require Utah computer techs to report child porn
Statues of 2 early Latino explorers coming to Utah Capitol
Sen. Mike Lee turns in voter signatures to gain spot in primary election
Citing national uncertainty, Utah guv suspends planning to reduce state’s carbon emissions
Utah Senate passes medical marijuana bill, which now goes to House
Rolly: Fraud complaint names Utah Legislature as culprit
Noel wants to strip Utah state attorneys of civil-service protections
Utah House signs off on school technology grant program
House OKs bill to make historic districts tougher to create
Proposal advances to charge 10-cent fee for single-use plastic, paper bags
Likely Biden motorcade arrives in Utah — and gets a way better hotel than Obama
Op-ed: Local, healthy, sustainable food for all?
A. Scott Anderson: An affordable and fiscally responsible health care proposal
Op-ed: A disturbing political phenomenon in the US
Editorial: Could Utahns' optimism about economy be a problem?
Derek B. Miller: Electing a president with a clear vision for America's role in the world
Utah Legislature postpones discussion on end-of-life options
Bill proposes to remove mother, father from Utah paternity law
Drones in Utah: 'It's important that we get this right'
Vice President Joe Biden coming to Utah Friday
Utah Senate passes controversial medical marijuana bill
Romney calls for Trump's taxes, clashes with Trump on Twitter
Gov. Herbert says House Medicaid expansion plan 'better than zero'
Bill intends to ban certain abortion procedures in Utah
Committee sends shopping bags bill to full Senate
Utah Senate passes SB 73, medical marijuana bill moves on to House (Daily Herald)
Op-ed: Collecting online sales taxes in Utah is the fair thing to do (Standard-Examiner)
Editorial: 17th Amendment posturing a waste of the Legislature's time (Standard-Examiner)
Utahns react to Senate vote passing medical marijuana bill SB73 to the House (Standard-Examiner)
Utah Senate passes medical marijuana bill SB 73, sponsored by Sen. Mark Madsen (Standard-Examiner)
SB73 supporters get delightful surprise after Senate passes bill 17-12 (Standard-Examiner)
Outlook optimistic on measure to give counties flexibility with transportation dollars (Logan Herald Journal)
Republican debate: Marco Rubio finds his fire (CNN)
Rubio ambushes Trump at GOP debate (Politico)
CNN struggles to contain debate fireworks (Politico)
Romney: 'No legit reason’ Trump can’t release tax returns (The Hill)
Rubio, Cruz throw everything they can at front-runner Trump (The Hill)
Apple court papers: FBI is seeking 'dangerous power' that violates its constitutional rights (Los Angeles Times)
Abortion providers reveal their Supreme Court strategy ahead of arguments (Houston Chronicle)
If I were Brian Sandoval, I’d probably pull my name off Obama’s Supreme Court list, too (Washington Post)
A self-described unifier, Kasich not always Mr. Nice in Ohio (Washington Post)
Clinton apologizes for 1996 remark on ‘super-predators’ after encounter with activist (Washington Post)
This is the closest thing we’ve ever have to a Hillary Clinton political manifesto (Washington Post)
"Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve." George Bernard Shaw Brainy Quote
"A Chinese man recently held what he called a “pre-funeral” for himself to see how many people would show up to his real funeral. And if he’s the kind of guy who would do that, I’m going to guess not many." Seth Meyers Political Humor