Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Wednesday's Talking Points - March 16, 2016
Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 76th day of the year. There are 290 days left in 2016
Obama set to announce his Supreme Court pick. Trump and Clinton rack up big wins. Chelsea Clinton stumps in Utah.
- The Utah candidate filing period closes tomorrow- (3/17/2016)
- Five days to the GOP presidential debate in Salt Lake City (maybe) - (3/21/2016)
- Six days to the Utah Republican and Democratic caucus meetings (3/22/2016)
- 14 days to the last day the governor may sign or veto bills (3/30/2016)
- 38 days to the Utah Republican and Democratic State Conventions (4/23/2016)
- 54 days to the last day a veto override session may begin (5/9/2016)
- 104 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 124 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 131 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 237 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 313 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 358 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- President Barack Obama is set to announce his pick to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court Wednesday morning [Politico, Washington Post, New York Times].
- Donald Trump has a great night again in the Republican nominating contests while John Kasich keeps his hopes alive by winning Ohio. Marco Rubio suspends his campaign after losing Florida [Politico, Washington Post].
- On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton picks up four states, including Ohio, to widen her delegate lead over Bernie Sanders [Politico, Washington Post].
- Ted Cruz and Trump say they will do whatever they can to keep Kasich from competing at a contested convention [Politico].
- Tuesday's results mean it's more likely that Donald Trump will appear at the GOP debate in Salt Lake City on Monday [Tribune].
- Chelsea Clinton stumps in Utah to support her mother's campaign [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News, 2 News].
- A group renews their complaint that Rep. Ken Ivory was conducting business for the American Lands Council using taxpayer resources [Tribune].
- Most Utahns support raising the legal age to purchase tobacco from 19 to 21 [Utah Policy].
- A hacker group launches an online attack against some Salt Lake City websites to protest the shooting of a teenager by police officers in February [Tribune].
- Republican Merrill Cook is running for office for the 14th time, this time, for Utah state treasurer [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1521 - Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reached the Phillippines, where he was killed by natives the following month.
- 1802 - Congress authorized the establishment of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.
- 1926 - Robert Goddard launched the world's first liquid-fuel rocket.
- 1935 - Adolf Hitler scrapped the Treaty of Versailles.
- 1968 - About 300 Vietnamese villagers died at the hands of U.S. troops in what came to be known as the My Lai massacre.
- 2003 - Vice President Dick Cheney predicted on NBC's "Meet the Press" that American troops would be "greeted as liberators" by the Iraqi people.
Today At Utah Policy
|Poll: Utahns Support Raising the Legal Age to Buy Tobacco|
A bill in the 2016 Legislature that would have raised the legal tobacco smoking age from 19 to 21 was killed in a House committee.But a UtahPolicy poll by Dan Jones & Associates finds that three-fourths of Utahns support such a change....
|Chelsea Clinton Stumps in Utah|
Usually, when presidential campaigns visit Utah, it's to hold a private fundraiser. But to have actual campaign events is a rare thing indeed for the Beehive State....
|Chelsea Clinton Answers Questions from the Media (Video)|
Chelsea Clinton visits Utah to campaign for her mother, Hillary. Watch as she answers questions from the media about the tone of the 2016 race, how her mother's proposals differ from the other candidates and her thoughts on medical marijuana....
|Rep. Bishop Thanks Counties for Continued Support|
On Friday, March 11th, representatives from Carbon, Duchesne, Emery, Grand, San Juan, Summit & Uintah Counties gathered at the Utah State Capitol to voice their support for the Public Lands Initiative (PLI) process (Information available at UtahPLI.com)....
"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great." John D. Rockefeller Brainy Quote
"As a country we could stop focusing on things like the color of Bernie Sanders' suit and start focusing on the fact that he was able to successfully dress himself." Jimmy Kimmel Political Humor