Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - April 29, 2014
Bob Bernick writes about how the national Republicans are changing the presidential nomination process to help the eventual nominee have a better chance against the Democratic nominee.
Today's Utah political news highlights:
- 57 days until Utah's 2014 primary elections
- 188 days to the 2014 midterm elections
- 272 days to the start of the 2015 Utah Legislature
- 552 days to the 2015 elections
- 617 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses
- 923 days to the 2016 presidential election
- Bob Bernick writes about how the national Republicans are changing the presidential nomination process to help the eventual nominee have a better chance against the Democratic nominee (Utah Policy).
- In an essay, LaVarr Webb notes that spouting rhetoric is easy, while governing is hard, and Republicans should talk more realistically if they want to be prepared to actually take over the government (Utah Policy).
- Sen. Mike Lee is operating a "shadow party" to develop a conservative reform agenda for Republicans (National Review).
- CBS "Face the Nation" host Bob Schieffer says Mitt Romney may run for president for a third time if Jeb Bush decides not to run (Washington Post).
- Former GOP Executive Director Ivan DuBois and his wife, Megan, are encouraging Republicans to support gay rights (Tribune).
- Want to hunt crows? Utah wildlife officials are considering opening crow-hunting season (Tribune).
- A Deseret News editorial supports Gov. Gary Herbert's proposal to use new methodology to measure school performance (Deseret News).
- A Salt Lake Tribune editorial says declining vaccination rates shows that child immunizations should be required, not optional (Tribune).
Today At Utah Policy
|Nation GOP Changing Processes to Benefit Presidential Nominee|
Don't expect to see two dozen debates between the 2016 Republican presidential candidates, nor "biased" questions from debate moderators.Oh, and the National Republican Convention in 2016?It won't be in August, the traditional month, but in July.The changes, says Utah GOP Na...
|Lee Pushes to Reform GOP for 2016 and Beyond|
Sen. Mike Lee is operating a "shadow party" within the GOP, developinga conservative reform agenda that he hopes will serve as inspiration for Republicanpresidential candidates in 2016....
|Rhetoric is Easy; Governing is Difficult|
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is a veritable rock star among Republican base voters, as evidenced by his reception at the recent Western Republican meetings in Salt Lake City. Cruz can toss out the red meat and work up a crowd with the best of them. Lots of conservative Republicans wo...
"Remember this-that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life."
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Quotations Page
"China's state media has announced that its 'Cleaning the Web' Campaign has successfully shut down 110 porn websites. That's like New York City announcing that their 'Cleaning the Subway' campaign has successfully exterminated one rat." Seth Meyers Political Humor