Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, April 7, 2016
Thursday's Talking Points - April 7, 2016
Good Thursday spring morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 96th day of the year. There are 268 days left in 2016.
Candidates gathering signatures need not fear being disqualified. Federal Judge David Nuffer rules against the Republican Party on SB54 . . . Sen. Jim Dabakis as SL Tribune publisher? . . . Gov. Herbert and legislative leaders might decide to hold a special session to fix legislation instead of a veto override session . . . Trump will hire ‘seasoned operatives’ to help him navigate the GOP convention.
- 16 days to the Utah Republican and Democratic State Conventions (4/23/2016)
- 32 days to the last day a veto override session may begin (5/9/2016)
- 82 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 102 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 109 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 215 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 291 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 336 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Bob Bernick: Thoughts on Jim Dabakis as Salt Lake Tribune publisher [Utah Policy].
- Judge Nuffer rejects Utah GOP arguments regarding election law SB54 [Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, Fox13].
- A May special session may be a better alternative than a veto override session, says Senate Pres. Wayne Niederhauser [Utah Policy, Deseret News].
- Sen. Ted Cruz endorses Gov. Gary Herbert for re-election [Utah Policy].
- Utah County GOP is trying to punish candidates who don’t sign its ‘fitness pledge’ [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Even after defeating Trump in Wisconsin, Ted Cruz is having a hard time unifying Republican establishment [Washington Post]. Trump will hire ‘seasoned operatives’ to help him prepare for a possible contested convention [Washington Post]. George Will says Trump’s convention prep is ‘bush league’ [Washington Post].
- Trump’s plan to block remittances to Mexico to force Mexico to pay for the wall could backfire and hurt the United States [New York Times].
- State leaders are seeking independent evaluations of a possible Utah investment in a California export terminal [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Editorial: Mormon women get a tough assignment: dealing with the world refugee crisis [Salt Lake Tribune].
- Sen Orrin Hatch lauds passage of Trade Secrets Bill [Utah Policy].
Today At Utah Policy
|Senator Ted Cruz Endorses Utah Governor Gary Herbert|
Fresh off his primary win in Wisconsin and strong victory in Utah, Sen. Ted Cruz has endorsed Utah Gov. Gary Herbert’s re-election.“I am supporting Governor Gary Herbert to serve the next four years as Utah’s governor because he is a principled, conservativ...
|Bob Bernick's Notebook: Thoughts On Jim Dabakis And The Tribune|
It comes as no surprise to yours truly that state Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake, has confirmed he is trying to buy The Salt Lake Tribune.I joked about a Dabakis-owned Tribune in a “what if” column months ago.Dabakis (will he also be Democratic gubernatorial candi...
|Special Legislative Session Instead of Veto Override Session?|
A May special legislative session may be a better alternative than a veto override session, Senate President Wayne Niederhauser told UtahPolicyon Wednesday.Nothing has been decided yet, the president stressed.Jon Cox, Gov. Gary Herbert’s spokesperson, said if any sort ...
|UTAH SENATE TO ISSUE VETO OVERRIDE POLL|
Some legislators ready to restore education fundingSALT LAKE CITY – Today, Utah Senate President Wayne Niederhauser initiated the veto override process for Utah State Senators. President Niederhauser issued the following statement in response to the governor's veto of ...
|You're Welcome, 'Murica, for Rejecting The Donald|
Dear America,Hello. It's Utah, the 45th entrant to this nation. We know we've been a black sheep of sorts. We've done some embarrassing things along the way. We got started on the wrong foot having to renounce polygamy in exchange for statehood. And while that may...
|A Proud Member of the Establishment|
The establishment is much-maligned these days. It seems the way to get elected is to run against the establishment -- blame the establishment for all the ills of humankind.There are three anti-establishment factions: The far-right Ted Cruz faction. The far-left Bernie Sander...
Power to Tyranny
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson Brainy Quote
"Here in California Whoopi Goldberg is launching a line of medical marijuana products for women. The company is called Whoopi & Maya. Starting next month the company will sell a line of items that includes medical cannabis bath soap, sipping chocolate, body balm, all sorts of luxurious ways to get pot into your brain." Jimmy Kimmel Political Humor