Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - June 24, 2014
Investigators seize 10,000 cash from the home of John Swallow. The LDS Church excommunicates the founder of Ordain Women. Predictions for Tuesday's primary elections.
- Today is primary election day in Utah
- 133 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 216 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 497 days until the 2015 elections
- 573 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 868 days until the 2016 presidential election
Tuesday's top news stories:
- Unsealed search warrants say investigators seized $10,000 in cash plus computers and other electronic devices from the home of former Attorney General John Swallow [Tribune, Deseret News].
- The LDS Church excommunicates Kate Kelly, founder of Ordain Women, for apostasy [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Bob Bernick makes his predictions for Tuesday's primary [Utah Policy].
- Democratic Attorney General candidate Charles Stormont must take leave from his jobin order to run for office against his boss, Republican Attorney General Sean Reyes [Tribune].
- Gun lobbyist Clark Aposhian's pleads no contest to disorderly conduct [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Rep. Chris Stewart sponsors a bill to ban government agencies from forming their own paramilitary units [Tribune].
- The BLM approves the roundup of 140 wild horses to help reduce their numbers [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1509 - Henry VII was crowned king of England.
- 1908 - Former President Grover Cleveland died in New Jersey.
- 1940 - France signed an armistice with Italy during World War II.
- 1948 - Communist forces began the blockade of West Berlin, prompting the United States to organize an airlift to bring supplies.
- 2004 - Federal investigators questioned President George W. Bush in connection with the leak of a CIA operative's name.
- 2009 - After disappearing for several days, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admitted that he had secretly flown to Argentina to visit his mistress..
- 2011 - New York State legalized same-sex marriage.
Tuesday's World Cup schedule:
- Italy vs. Uruguay (10:00 am, ESPN)
- Costa Rica vs. England (10:00 am, ESPN)
- Japan vs. Colombia (2:00 pm, ESPN)
- Greece vs. Ivory Coast (2:00 pm, ESPN)
Today At Utah Policy
|Why Utah's Low Unemployment Rate is So Remarkable|
The news on Friday that Utah's unemployment rate is at the lowest level since 2008 is remarkable by itself. Couple that with the fact that some cities in America have unemployment rates above 20%, and the news becomes absolutely amazing....
|Goodwill Gesture: Cummings Hosts Chaffetz In Baltimore|
Calling for "a new era of bipartisanship," liberal Democratic Rep. Elijah Cummings welcomesRep. Jason Chaffetz Monday for a tour of the city of Baltimore. Cummings will visitChaffetz's district in Utah later this year....
|Utah.Gov Recognized as Best Online Community Resource|
You may have already had a great experience visitingUtah.Govto renew your vehicle registration, buy a fishing license, or find out how you tax dollars are spent. But did you know about all of the other great services and information available at the newly redesignedUtah.Gov?...
| || |
"How can a society that exists on instant mashed potatoes, packaged cake mixes, frozen dinners, and instant cameras teach patience to its young?" ~Paul SweeneyQuote Garden
"Hillary Clinton said she won't support legalizing recreational marijuana until we see how it goes in Colorado. Officials in Colorado couldn't respond because they were too busy swimming in a pool of money." Jimmy Fallon Political Humor