Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, June 30, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - June 30, 2014
Investigators continue to build a case against John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff. Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks at BYU. Dave Hansen picks sides in the 2016 gubernatorial race.
- 127 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 210 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 491 days until the 2015 elections
- 567 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 862 days until the 2016 presidential election
Monday's top news stories:
- Investigators continue to build a possible criminal case against former attorneys general John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff [Deseret News].
- Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks at BYU [Deseret News, Daily Herald].
- Top GOP strategist Dave Hansen says he will join Jonathan Johnson's 2016 gubernatorial campaign if he decides to run [Utah Policy].
- Activists fly a blimp over the NSA's data center in Bluffdale to protest the organization's surveillance activities [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the highest ranking Mormon in Washington, declines comment on the excommunication of Kate Kelly [Tribune].
- Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox almost turned down the job when it was offered to him following the resignation of former Lt. Gov. Greg Bell [Deseret News].
- Former Provo Mayor Lewis Billings says the future of UTOPIA deserves a "rousing debate" [Utah Policy].
- The Wasatch Front Regional Council is mulling which transportation projects should be put on waiting lists for federal funding [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1921 - President Warren G. Harding appointed former President William Howard Taft chief justice of the United States.
- 1934 - Adolf Hitler began his "blood purge" of political and military leaders in Germany known as "The Night of the Long Knives."
- 1971 - The 26th Amendment, which lowered the minimum voting age to 18, was ratified as Ohio became the 38th state to approve it.
Today's World Cup schedule:
- France vs. Nigeria (10:00 am, ESPN)
- Germany vs. Algeria (2:00 pm, ESPN)
Today At Utah Policy
|UTOPIA's Important Decision|
Congratulations to those who are working hard to find long term, effective solutions to the UTOPIA financial and operational dilemmas....
|Bernick and Schott on Politics - Episode #193|
Utah's ban on same-sex marriage is struck down...again. Gov. Gary Herbert is running for re-election...again. Plus most incumbents won their primary elections.Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott run down the week that was in Utah politics....