Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
You can listen to our interviews with Utah politicians and newsmakers, plus catch "Bernick and Schott on Politics" every week by subscribing to our podcast on iTunes.
Click here to subscribe.
Ten Things You Need to Know for Tuesday - June 9, 2015
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City.
Utah leaders hold top positions in national organizations. The public will get their chance to speak out about the prison relocation process next week. Madsen calls Utah's laws limiting the use of force by police "wishy-washy."
- Days to the 2015 Utah municipal primary elections - 63
- Days to the 2015 election - 147
- Days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) - 224
- Days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - 231
- Days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary - 232
- Days to the 2016 Utah primary election - 386
- Days until the 2016 presidential election - 519
Tuesday's top-10 headlines:
- Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert is due in court Tuesday on charges he paid a victim for his silence to cover up sexual abuse [Politico].
- Utah state leaders hold some prominent positions in national organizations [Utah Policy].
- The public will get a chance to speak out about the prison relocation process during a public hearing next week [Tribune].
- Sen. Mark Madsen says Utah's law on when police officers are justified in using deadly force is "wishy-washy" [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Five candidates for Salt Lake City Mayor emerge as the filing period comes to an end [Fox 13, Tribune].
- A coalition of Utah conservative groups call on state leaders to consider the economic impact of Medicaid expansion [Utah Policy].
- The number of abortions in Utah has dropped dramatically since 2010 [Associated Press, Fox 13].
- A marked decline in the number of chronically homeless people in Utah has state officials saying their approach to the problem is working [Tribune].
- Ozone pollution season is ramping in Utah [KUER].
- The Supreme Court refuses to take up a challenge to a San Francisco law that requires guns within a private residence to be stored in a locked container or with a trigger lock [SCOTUSBlog].
On this day in history:
- 1943 - The U.S. Congress passed an act authorizing employers to withhold income tax payments from salary checks.
- 1954 - Army counsel Joseph Welch confronted Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the Senate-Army Hearings over McCarthy's attack on a member of Welch's law firm, asking "Have you no sense of decency?"
- 1969 - The Senate confirmed Warren Burger to be chief justice of the United States, succeeding Earl Warren.
- 1986 - The Rogers Commission released its report on the Challenger disaster, criticizing NASA and rocket builder Morton Thiokol for management problems leading to the explosion that claimed the lives of seven astronauts.
Tuesday's Women's World Cup Schedule:
- France vs. England
- Spain vs. Costa Rica
- Colombia vs. Mexico
- Brazil vs. Korea Republic
Today At Utah Policy
|Utah's Political Clout is Growing|
We oldsters know about the Summer of Love in San Francisco and the summer of civil rights marches in the South, both in the 1960s....
|Utah Shakespeare Festival Vital to Utah's Economy|
"We know who we are, but know not what we may be." – Hamlet, Act 4 Scene 5.In 2016, the Utah Shakespeare Festival will continue to define what it may be via new Festival facilities. Festival audiences will enjoy the Bard’s rich wisdom and wit from withi...
|That 'Tired Statistic' Harms Education|
To begin, let me make it clear: I was not present when Superintendent Brad Smith presented his speech to the Utah Taxpayers Association Conference on May 28. I do not know the context nor the entirety of the speech. I have spoken to those who were present and found the speec...
|Summer Meals Being Served for Utah Kids|
This summer there are 38 sponsors at over 200 sites across the state ready to provide nutritious lunches and, in many cases, breakfast and/or supper for children who would otherwise be on their own when school is out. Unfortunately, only 1 in 10 low-income children in Utah w...
| || |
"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson Brainy Quote
In honor of its 40th anniversary, the movie "Jaws" is heading back to theaters later this month. Steven Spielberg was apparently sitting on his yacht recently and thought to himself, "I'm gonna need a bigger boat." Jimmy
FallonBest of Late Nite