Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, June 9, 2016
Listen to our interviews, podcasts and other audio on Soundcloud.
You can listen online or on their app, available in the iTunes or Google Play store.
Ten Things You Need to Know for Thursday, June 9, 2016
Good Thursday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 161st day of the year. There are 205 days left in 2016.
Barack Obama tries to broker peace between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are set to go negative early. Jonathan Johnson gets another big check from Patrick Byrne.
- 19 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 39 days to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland (7/18/2016)
- 45 days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 152 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 228 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 273 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Thursday:
- President Barack Obama will meet with Bernie Sanders on Thursday trying to broker peace between his camp and presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton [The Hill, CNN, Washington Post]. Some of Sanders' supporters aren't having it, warning the president not to try and end the nomination battle early [Politico].
- It's not even mid-June and the presidential election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is about to get nasty. Trump is set to blast Clinton for numerous scandals in a speech on Monday [Politico]. Clinton is preparing to take Trump behind the woodshed over his economic plans [Politico]. Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren wants a piece of Trump as well. She's preparing to call him a "loud, nasty, thin-skinned fraud" during a speech on Thursday [Bloomberg].
- Donald Trump says he sees no need to raise $1 billion for the general election campaign because he's able to earn free media due to his celebrity status [Bloomberg].
- Republican Senator Bob Corker says Trump has 2-3 weeks to mend relations with fellow Republicans due to his racially-themed comments about a federal judge. If he can do that, Corker says fellow Republicans will line up to help his bid for the White House [Yahoo].
- Republican gubernatorial challenger Jonathan Johnson pulls in another $250,000 donation from Overstock.com founder Patrick Byrne [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News].
- Political heavy hitters are headed to Park City for Mitt Romney's annual E2 Summit [Tribune].
- The Utah Republican Party gets higher approval ratings than Utah Democrats in a new survey [Utah Policy].
- A draft of Utah's lawsuit against the federal government over control of public lands in the state is almost ready for prime time, but some Democrats wonder why the state has spent more than $300,000 on public relations work relating to the legal fight [Tribune].
- Utah County is booming with the second-fastest job growth in the nation [Tribune].
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks meets with members of British Parliament [Deseret News].
On this day in history:
- 1534 - French explorer Jacques Cartier became the first European to discover the St. Lawrence River in present-day Quebec.
- 1943 - Congress passed an act authorizing employers to withhold income tax payments from salary checks.
- 1954 - Army counsel Joseph Welch confronted Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the Senate-Army hearings over McCarthy's attack on a member of Welch's law firm, asking "Have you no sense of decency?"
Today At Utah Policy
|2016 Elections: The Case for Business Engagement|
What’s at Stake for BusinessMany Utah voters have become disenchanted with the political system. Mistrust, disappointment and frustration have deterred many from the political process and civic participation. The nation is filled with a high level of discord and p...
|Weekly Survey: Should the Utah GOP Endorse Primary Candidates?|
Some Republican county parties have endorsed candidates in primary elections who won more than 60% of delegates at the convention over candidates who used the signature route to get on the ballot. But, the Utah State GOP decided not to endorse primary candidates. Do you thin...
"We might come closer to balancing the Budget if all of us lived closer to the Commandments and the Golden Rule." Ronald Reagan Brainy Quote
Just a Name
"President Obama signed legislation this week that replaced the term 'Eskimo' in all federal laws with the phrase 'Alaska Native.' 'Fine, I'll have seven Alaska Native pies,' said Chris Christie." –Seth Meyers Political Humor