Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Friday, July 11, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - July 11, 2014
Utah Senators flush with campaign cash. U.S. Senate approves land swap. A number of Utahns want the state to ditch daylight saving time.
- 116 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 199 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 480 days until the 2015 elections
- 556 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 851 days until the 2016 presidential election
Today's top news stories:
- Sen. John Valentine has more than $100,000 in his campaign account even though he's not up for re-election this year [Utah Policy].
- The U.S. Senate votes to approve a land exchange on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation [Tribune].
- A government-sponsored forum hears from a number of Utahns who say they'd like the state to ditch daylight saving time [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Downtown Salt Lake City's economy is booming as businesses report record sales [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Utahns rally to show support for immigrant children who have crossed into the United States from Mexico [Tribune].
- Today is "Free Slurpee Day" at 7-11 [Time].
On this day in history:
- 1533 - England's King Henry VIII was excommunicated.
- 1798 - The U.S. Marine Corps was created by an act of Congress.
- 1804 - Former vice president Aaron Burr fatally wounded former secretary of the treasury Alexander Hamilton in a duel. Hamilton died the following afternoon.
- 1952 - The Republican National Convention in Chicago nominated Dwight D. Eisenhower for president and Richard Nixon for vice president.
- 1979 - The U.S. space station Skylab returned to Earth, burning up in the atmosphere over the Indian Ocean and Australia.
World Cup schedule:
- 3rd place game
- Brazil vs. Netherlands (Saturday, 2:00 pm - ESPN)
- Germany vs. Argentina (Sunday, 1:00 pm - ABC)
Today At Utah Policy
|Weekly Survey: Will Romney Run Again?|
This week Rep. Jason Chaffetz said Mitt Romney will run for president again in 2016 and win. Do you think Romney has another campaign in his future? Vote now in our weekly survey....
|Casual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report|
Outdoor Notes-- Tribune: Utah Hike of the Week: Beartrap Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon--Tribune:Bucket List: Splore shares outdoor 'magic' with people with disabilities-- Tribune: Driving Utah's Mirror Lake Highway a summer tradition-- For the?latest wildlife news and inform...
|Bramble: Congress Should Follow Utah's Lead|
Sen. Curt Bramble, inWashington for the National Conference of State Legislatures, says Utahhasfound innovative ways to break the gridlock surroundingissues like immigration reform and highwayfunding, offering Congress an example of how to getthingsdone....
Day to Day
"Nothing so conclusively proves a man's ability to lead others as what he does from day to day to lead himself." ~Thomas J. Watson Quote Garden
"Researchers found a frog in new guinea that is so tiny, they believe it's the smallest vertebrate on the planet. It has the tiniest backbone of any living creature, except members of Congress." Jay Leno Political Humor