Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - July 15, 2014
Legislative leadership races are starting to heat up. The Supreme Court may wade into Utah's appeal over recognizing same-sex marriages. Local governments undercollected property taxes over the last decade.
- 112 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 195 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 476 days until the 2015 elections
- 552 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 847 days until the 2016 presidential election
Today's top news stories:
- The fight to be the next Speaker of the Utah House could be a brutal contest [Utah Policy].
- It's not a sure thing that the Supreme Court will issue a stay in Utah's appeal of a decision requiring the state to recognize same-sex marriages [Deseret News].
- A state audit concludes local governments under-collected property taxes over the last decade to the tune of $100 million [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Mia Love continues her torrid fundraising pace [Utah Policy].
- The Utah GOP wants the state to investigate the source of robocalls critical of the Davis County GOP chairman [Tribune].
- The Jordan School District islooking to make changes in order to keep cities from splitting off and forming their own district [Tribune, Deseret News].
- An Alpine School Board candidate will not seek a recount after losing by five votes last month [Daily Herald].
- The Pleasant View City Council fires police chief D. Scott Jackson during an emergency meeting over the weekend [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1870 - Georgia became the last of the Confederate states to be readmitted to the Union.
- 1971 - President Richard Nixon announced he would visit the People's Republic of China.
- 1979 - President Jimmy Carder delivered a speech about a "crisis of confidence" in America. Though he didn't use the word, it became known as the "malaise" speech.
- 2010 - BP stopped the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico after 85 days using a 75-ton cap lowered onto the well earlier in the week.
Today At Utah Policy
|Here's One Way to Land on the NSA's Watch List|
Last week, German journalists revealed that the National Security Agency has a program to collect information about people who use privacy-protecting services, including popular anonymizing software called Tor. But it's not clear how many users have been affected....
|Meet a USTAR Investigator|
From a young age, Utah Science Technology and Research initiative's (USTAR) professor in the Departments of Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Utah (U of U), Shelley Minteer knew that she wanted to become a mathematician or a scientist....
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
Mark Twain Quotations Page
"According to a new report from BP, the earth will run out of oil in 53 years. Luckily, thanks to BP, the ocean will still have plenty." Seth MeyersPolitical Humor