Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - July 22, 2014
A judge sets a date to hear arguments in the lawsuit challenging the new operating agreement between the Tribune and Deseret News. Luke Garrott makes a move to run for Salt Lake City Mayor in 2015. Utah's child well-being ranking rises.
- 105 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 188 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 469 days until the 2015 elections
- 545 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 840 days until the 2016 presidential election
Tuesday's top news stories:
- A judge sets a September date to hear arguments on whether a group suing to stop a change in the operating agreement between the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News has standing to bring a suit [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch wants President Obama to include a religious exemption in his executive order preventing federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT employees [Tribune].
- Salt Lake City Councilman Luke Garrott is inching toward a run for Mayor next year [Tribune].
- A new reportsays Utah ranks 11th for child well-being, which is up from 14th last year [Deseret News, Tribune].
- Imprisoned FLDS prophet Warren Jeffs sends a lot of mail to Utah lawmakers [Tribune].
- 21 protesters have been arrested for blocking access to a tar sands company facility in eastern Utah [Tribune].
- Salt Lake County announces a new solar power installation at the Utah Olympic Oval [Deseret News].
- A new study finds the 13 national parks in Utah brought in nearly $600 million in economic activity and are responsible for 9,000 jobs [Daily Herald].
On this day in history:
- 1796 - The city of Cleveland was founded by Gen. Moses Cleavland.
- 1933 - Wiley Post became the first person to fly solo around the world.
- 1934 - Bank robber John Dillinger was shot to death by federal agents outside a movie theater in Chicago.
- 1937 - The Senate rejected President Franklin D. Roosevelt's proposal to add more justices to the Supreme Court.
- 1975 - Congress restored Confederate general Robert. E. Lee's U.S. citizenship.
Today At Utah Policy
| || |
"Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement."
C. S. LewisQuotations Page
"Congressman Raul Labrador said that impeaching President Obama isn't a good idea, because, quote, 'no one wants President Joe Biden.' And that's when Biden realized why Obama picked him as a running mate." Jimmy Fallon Political Humor