Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Friday, July 22, 2016
Since most will celebrate the Pioneer Day holiday on Monday, we will not publish our daily newsletter that day.
We will return to your inboxes, computers and mobile devices on Tuesday, July 26.
Have a safe and happy celebration.
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics for Friday July 22, 2016
Good Friday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 204th day of the year. There are 162 days left in 2016.
Trump paints a grim picture of America as he accepts the GOP nomination. Mia Love set to spend $1 million on campaign advertising. Utah Republicans are starting to reluctantly get behind Donald Trump as the nominee.
- Three days to the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia (7/25/2016)
- 109 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 185 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 230 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Friday:
- Rep. Mia Love's campaign says they will spend $1 million on advertising during her re-election bid [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News].
- Here's our rundown of the week in Utah politics, including a discussion of the GOP convention [Utah Policy].
- Everything is terrible, and only Donald Trump can fix it. Trump delivers a dark vision of America and his plan to fix the country by bringing "law and order" back [Politico].
- Utah Republicans in Cleveland are finally able to put aside their opposition to Donald Trump and get behind the GOP nominee [Deseret News, Tribune].
- The row over Ted Cruz's refusal to endorse Donald Trump continued into Thursday, especially among Utah Republicans. Sen. Mike Lee is defending Cruz while Utah House Speaker Greg Hughes, a Trump supporter, is not happy [Deseret News].
- Hillary Clinton is set to name her running mate, possibly as soon as Friday [Bloomberg]. It probably won't be Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who said Thursday if she were to get the nod "I would know it by now, so probably not" [Politico]. Speculation is growing that Clinton will tap Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine for the #2 spot [The Hill].
- The NBA has pulled the 2017 All-Star game from Charlotte because of North Carolina's controversial "transgender bathroom" bill [Huffington Post].
- Roger Ailes resigned as chairman and CEO of Fox News following a string of sexual harassment accusations against him [Politico].
- Utah taxpayers may be responsible for paying the legal bills for Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow [Tribune].
- The closure of Utah Lake because of a toxic algal bloom is hitting local businesses hard [Daily Herald]. State officials are considering declaring a state of emergency due to the bloom [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1587 - A second English colony was established on Roanoke Island off North Carolina. Residents later vanished under mysterious circumstances.
- 1934 - Bank robber John Dillinger was shot to death by federal agents outside a movie theater in Chicago.
- 1937 - The Senate rejected President Franklin D. Roosevelt's proposal to add more justices to the Supreme Court.
Today At Utah Policy
|Casual Friday: Weekend Events & Outdoors Report|
Outdoor Notes-- Tribune: Utah Hike of the Week: Creek View Trail in Draper -- Tribune: Utah could learn from Montana anglers' access signs Weekend EventsNew Films-- Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie: Tribune review -- Captain Fantastic: Tribune review -- Lights Out: Tribune rev...
|Register Today for the Taking Utah Tech to the World Seminar |
World Trade Center Utah, in partnership with the Utah Technology Council and Beehive Startups, will host a seminar on August 11 from 3-5 p.m. to help Utah tech companies learn more about taking their products to the international marketplace....
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Trump has chased me from the GOP, and you should leave, too
'We need to not look stupid': Lobbyist tells Utah group to at least appear to support Donald Trump during his big speech
Rolly: After Cruz fiasco, a look at the nonendorsement that may have made Mike Lee a senator
Utah's Mickelsen: Some Cruz supporters were 'living in an unrealistic bubble'
Mia Love to spend $1 million on TV ads, double from the last campaign
Utah militia leader Keebler, who allegedly talked about killing Muslims and putting 'the fear of God' in feds, will stay in jail pending trial
SLC police, officials host conversation to 'not make enemies of each other'
Utah Court of Appeals to allow nuclear power plant on Green River
Trump accepts GOP nod, claims he's the 'law and order' candidate
Guess who might be on the hook for Shurtleff's and Swallow's legal bills - yep, taxpayers
Utah delegates may not like Trump, but they'll vote for him
Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
Appellate court upholds water rights diversion for planned nuclear power plant
PacifiCorp will appeal order designed to help clear the air in national parks
Utah delegation tours Ralphie's house
The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP convention; Hughes calls it 'black eye'
Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for battle with Doug Owens
Officials: Two women in Utah with Zika are currently pregnant
Poll: Voters support raising taxes to help students
Can police-community relations be improved? Talking helps, residents say
Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for Donald Trump
Editorial: Provo council's passive-aggressive act is wearing thin (Daily Herald)
Trump claims the prize (Politico)
What We Learned in Trump's Cleveland (Politico)
Trump campaign puts diversity on display in final night of convention (The Hill)
Global disorder: from Donald Trump to the South China Sea (Financial Times)
Hours Before Hillary Clinton's VP Decision, Likely Pick Tim Kaine Praises the TPP (The Intercept)
Ivanka Trump Introduces Her Father Donald at the RNC: He Is 'the People's Champion' (ABC News)
A gay Silicon Valley billionaire just made GOP history at the RNC (CNN)
Trump's Speech Praised by Delegates: 'What America Was Waiting To Hear' (NBC News)
In Convention's Shadow, Indiana Republicans Vie for Mike Pence's Old Job (New York Times)
Obama calls Muslims 'an essential part of the fabric of our country' (Washington Post)
Roger Ailes Resigns From Fox News (Newsmax)