Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Ten Things You Need to Know for Thursday - July 30, 2015
Good yThursda morning from Salt Lake City.
Who is watching the SLC mayoral primary debates? Trump continues his surge in the national polls. Hatch is raising tons of campaign cash.
- 12 days to the Utah municipal primary elections - (8/11/2015)
- 96 days to the 2015 election - (11/3/2015)
- 172 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) - (1/18/2016)
- 179 days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (1/25/2016)
- 180 days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary - (1/26/2016)
- 224 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (3/10/2016)
- 334 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 467 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
Thursday's top-10 headlines:
- Who is paying attention to the Salt Lake City mayoral debates? Not very many people according to our latest poll [Utah Policy].
- Donald Trump continues his lead in the latest national poll, with Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker coming in second and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush in third [Politico].
- Then there were 17. Former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore jumps into the already crowded GOP primary [US News and World Report].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch is stockpiling campaign cash even though he's not running for another term in 2018...or is he? [Tribune]
- The House passes a three-month extension of the highway bill. The measure now heads to the Senate [Roll Call].
- The former head of Qwest Communications says there's a good possibility the NSA monitored all telephone and text messages in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games [Tribune].
- Salt Lake City's former police headquarters could become a mixed use development with housing and retail establishments [Tribune].
- Federal transit officials say an innovation pioneered by the Utah Transit Authority is a good example of how to reduce costs of delivering transit services to the disabled [Tribune].
- Officials say there's a high probability wreckage found on Reunion Island is from a Boeing 777. The only such plane missing right now is Malaysia Airlines MH370 which disappeared last year [BBC].
- India's population will surpass China's in 2022. That's much sooner than previously thought, as United Nations projections previously said that wouldn't happen until 2028 [New York Times].
On this day in history:
- 1619 - In Jamestown, Va., the first elected legislative assembly in the New World - the House of Burgesses - convened in the choir loft of the town's church.
- 1965 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Medicare bill into law.
- 1974 - The U.S. House Judiciary Committee approved a third article of impeachment against President Richard Nixon, charging him with ignoring congressional subpoenas. Nixon resigned a week later.
- 1975 - Former Teamsters Union President Jimmy Hoffa was last seen outside a suburban Detroit restaurant. He was declared dead in 1982.
Today At Utah Policy
|Hatch Scolds Cruz over Charge that McConnell Lied|
In a Washington Times op-ed, Orrin Hatch criticizes Ted Cruz (without identifying him by name)for bringing "personal attacks," "partisan messaging," and "ideological grandstanding" to the Senate floor....
|Federal Lands Action Group Holds First Forum|
Chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resources, Rep. Rob Bishop and Chairman of the Federal Lands Action Group, Rep. Chris Stewart hosted the first in a series of forums aimed at exploring historical precedents and best practices with regard to public land managem...
|CMS Actuary Finds Health Care Spending Outpacing GDP Growth|
A new report released today from the Office of the Actuary at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) on national health expenditures spells out an alarming trend: health spending is now outpacing the growth of the economy and expected to reach unprecedented levels over ...
|Finance Committee Welcomes Input on Chronic Care|
Today, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Ranking Member Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) released the submissions responding to the Committee’s bipartisan initiative to explore cost-effective solutions to improve health outcomes for Medicare patients living ...
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Exoro has done the right thing regarding McAdams
Editorial: Utah Medicaid saga a poor example of state leadership
Too much tax, spread too thin? SLC council considers lowering cost of recreation bond
Feds promote UTA innovation as way to save money
Ex-Qwest CEO: Likely the NSA snatched emails, calls during Salt Lake Olympics
There's one Utah town where votes really don't count
Could Sen. Orrin Hatch be keeping the door open on another term?
Most Utahns want bigger rec areas, but not for outsiders
Becker and police to crack down on drug trafficking around homeless shelter
Two Utah resorts become one: Park City
Op-ed: Medicare marks golden anniversary, deserves many more
Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in Utah would destroy the democratic process
Editorial: Time to phase out federal highway trust fund
Federal prosecutors deny SUWA influence in ATV protest ride case
Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to unite Park City, Canyons slopes
National report shows high overall quality in Utah schools
Mail-in ballots, social media changing how people campaign and vote (Standard-Examiner)
Ash Carter warns 'no target out of reach' in Iran (Politico)
The Kochs freeze out Donald Trump (Politico)
Judge threatens IRS chief with contempt (The Hill)
18 Republicans pledge to oppose any bill funding Planned Parenthood (The Hill)
Trump's presence in first GOP debate makes prep challenging for candidates (Washington Post)
Nine More Undercover Videos Ready To Drop On Planned Parenthood (Daily Caller)
House Republicans move to put down one-man insurgency (Washington Post)
Chaka Fattah, Pennsylvania Congressman, Indicted on Charges of Misuse of Funds (New York Times)
Exclusive: Trump lashes out at 'vicious, horrible' lawyer over breast pump break (CNN)
Hillary Clinton calls Planned Parenthood videos 'disturbing' (Washington Times)
Bill shores up highway aid, veterans' health care (Washington Post)
| || |
Do What You Love
"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally." David Frost Brainy Quote
Word of the Day
"Presidential hopeful Rick Perry yesterday accused Donald Trump of "demagoguery," and said that he must be "excised and discarded." So one thing is clear: somebody got Rick Perry a word-of-the-day calendar." Seth Myers Political Humor