Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, July 7, 2014
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - July 7, 2014
The lawyers challenging Utah's ban on same-sex marriage take over fundraising efforts. Hive transit pass sales below expectations. Turmoil inside the Davis County GOP.
- 120 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 203 days to the opening day of the 2015 legislature
- 484 days until the 2015 elections
- 560 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 855 days until the 2016 presidential election
Monday's top news stories:
- The lawyers for three couples who are challenging Utah's ban on same-sex marriage are joining fundraising efforts to pay for their lawsuit [Tribune].
- Utah may not be hit as hard as other states if the federal Highway Trust Fund runs out of money [Tribune].
- The number of Salt Lake City residents who purchased the new Hive transit passes is far below what officials were hoping for [Tribune].
- Some Davis County Republicans are trying to oust the county party chair [Tribune].
- LDS Church officials say the number of missionaries will rise a bit more, then drop slightly [Tribune].
- Low voter turnout is prompting state officials to investigate whether to switch to vote by mail statewide [ABC 4].
- A new study says light rail lines can significantly reduce traffic growth [Tribune].
- Utah is last in the country in supporting family caregivers [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1846 - California was annexed to the United States.
- 1898 - The United States annexed Hawaii.
- 1930 - Construction began on the Boulder Dam.
- 1981 - President Ronald Reagan nominated Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1987 - Lt. Col. Oliver North began his public testimony at the Iran-Contra hearings.
Today At Utah Policy
|Utah Game Wars Begin|
Home to digital media and gaming giants like Adobe, Electronic Arts, Disney Interactive and Smart Bomb Interactive, Utah has rapidly become known for its vibrant digital media and entertainment industry....