Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Note from UtahPolicy.com Publisher LaVarr Webb:
It's time to reveal my secret life - as a farmer. Yes, my farm has grassfed Dexter beef and pastured pork for sale in half or whole portions. If you want some delicious locally-raised, natural meat, in bulk portions, check out the Hawk Ridge Ranch Utah web site and click on the link to order beef or pork. -LaVarr
Ten Things You Need to Know for Tuesday - August 11, 2015
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City.
It's Municipal Primary Election day in Utah. A Salt Lake City councilman says the Utah State Prison is relocating to Utah's capital city. If Jonathan Johnson decides to take on Gov. Gary Herbert in 2016, he might have quite a hill to climb.
- 84 days to the 2015 election - (11/3/2015)
- 160 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) - (1/18/2016)
- 167 days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (1/25/2016)
- 168 days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary - (1/26/2016)
- 212 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (3/10/2016)
- 322 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 455 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
Tuesday's top-10 headlines:
- Salt Lake City Councilman James Rogers says it's a "done deal" that the Utah State Prison is relocating to Salt Lake City [Tribune].
- Overstock.com chairman Jonathan Johnson has a tough road ahead of him if he decides to challenge Gov. Gary Herbert next year due to Herbert's high approval ratings and Johnson's low name ID [Utah Policy].
- Election officials say, in some areas, more than 30% of the mail-in ballots for today's primary election have already been returned [Deseret News].
- A single donor helped a political action committee pay for polling to help Jackie Biskupski's mayoral bid [Utah Policy].
- Gov. Herbert officially appoints Derrin Owens to the Utah House seat vacated by former Rep. Jon Cox [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune, ABC 4].
- The Utah State School Board pulls out of the Utah Public Education Coalition [Tribune].
- Testing of backlogged rape kits in Utah is revealing new leads in a number of old cases [Tribune].
- Utah environmental officials are testing water from the San Juan River trying to detect the toxic waste plume from an abandoned mine [Deseret News, Fox 13].
- Former Texas Governor Rick Perry's presidential campaign has stopped paying staffers in South Carolina [National Journal].
- Actress Melissa Gilbert of "Little House on the Prairie" fame is running for Congress in Michigan [US News and World Report].
On this day in history:
- 1934 - The first federal prisoners arrived at the island prison Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay.
- 1965 - Riots began in the Watts section of Los Angeles. In six days of violence, 34 people were killed.
- 1984 - In an off-air radio voice check picked up by TV cameras, President Ronald Reagan joked "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in 5 minutes." Needless to say, Soviet officials were not amused.
- 2012 - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney officially picked Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate.
- 2014 - Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams took his own life.
Today At Utah Policy
|Mike Lee: Renegade Republican, Bipartisan Dealmaker|
The New York Times profiles Sen. Mike Lee, whose dedication to libertarian principlesmakes him willing toreach across the aisle to work with Democrats on some policy issues, despite his reputation as a conservative firebrand....
|Salt Lake City Named 'Hot Startup City'|
Entrepreneur Magazine says Salt Lake City is one of nine cities where starting a high-tech business is easier and cheaper than meccas like New York or San Francisco....
|Press Release: Rep. Mia Love Tours Israel|
Representative Mia Love is touring Israel as part of a delegation of members of Congress, who are on a fact-finding tour sponsored by the American Israel Education Fund (AIEF)....
"Trust is the glue of life. It's the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships."Stephen Covey Brainy Quote
"Lay's is once again letting people vote on its newest flavor of potato chips. Or as Americans put it, "Finally, an election we care about." Jimmy FallonPolitical Humor