Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Ten Things You Need to Know for Wednesday - August 20, 2014
Plaintiffs in same-sex marriage case oppose Utah's request for more time. Gov. Gary Herbert says Utah exceeded his jobs goal. FBI Director James Comey visits Utah.
- 76 days until the 2014 midterm elections
- 159 days to the opening day of the 2015 Utah Legislature
- 440 days until the 2015 elections
- 516 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative)
- 811 days to the 2016 presidential election
Wednesday's Top-10 Headlines:
- The plaintiffs and ACLU oppose Utah's request for more time to appeal a court ruling that would force the state to recognize same-sex marriages [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Gov. Gary Herbert says Utah exceeded his goal of creating 100,000 jobs in 1,000 days [Tribune, Deseret News].
- A proposed $300 million dollar deal to operate the embattled UTOPIA network may not appear on November's ballot [Tribune, Standard-Examiner].
- FBI Director James Comey visits Utah and discusses the arrests of John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff and the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Mary Bishop, a Democratic candidate for county recorder, wants an explanation as to why the office is facing a $1.75 million shortfall. County officials say there's nothing sinister with the deficit [Deseret News].
- The state school board will meet Thursday to consider appointing an interim superintendent [Tribune].
- Sen. Mike Lee talks Common Core at a town hall meeting in Logan [Herald Journal].
- A number of Utah cities are getting rid of gun restrictions at the behest of the Second Amendment Foundation [Tribune].
- Utah schools pull in a record $39 million from trust lands in the past year [Tribune].
- Texas Governor Rick Perry is booked on charges of abuse of power [The Wire].
On this day in history:
- 1953 - The Soviet Union publicly acknowledged it had tested a hydrogen bomb.
- 1964 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Economic Opportunity Act which established the Head Start program.
- 1968 - The Soviet Union invaded Czechoslovakia to crush the "Prague Spring."
- 1977 - The United States launched the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
Today At Utah Policy
|Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack|
A new report charges that several oil and gas companies have been illegally using diesel fuel in their hydraulic fracturing operations, and then doctoring records to hide violations of the federal Safe Drinking Water Act....
"Experience suggests it doesn't matter so much how you got here, as what you do after you arrive."
Lois McMaster Bujold Quotations Page
A Little Weird
"President Obama went to the beach. . . . while he's vacationing on Martha's Vineyard. Which got weird when he took out his metal detector to search for $16 trillion in quarters." Jimmy Fallon Political Humor