Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
You can listen to our interviews with Utah politicians and newsmakers, plus catch "Bernick and Schott on Politics" every week by subscribing to our podcast on iTunes.
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics for Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 236th day of the year. There are 130 days left in 2016.
Rep. Jason Chaffetz has an enormous lead over his Democratic opponent. Former Gov. Mike Leavitt says Libertarian Gary Johnson "will have a moment" during the 2016 election. A federal judge blocks an Obama administration rule on transgender bathrooms in public schools.
- 77 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 153 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 198 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz has a massive 46-point lead over Democrat Stephen Tryon in a new poll [Utah Policy].
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt says Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson "will have a moment" during this election when voters seriously consider voting for him. Leavitt also says including Johnson in the presidential debates would make them far more interesting [Utah Policy].
- A federal judge has temporarily blocked an Obama administration directive expanding bathroom access for transgendered students in public schools. Utah was one of 13 states to file suit over the plan. Utah officials responded positively to the ruling [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Associated Press].
- The State Department is reviewing nearly 15,000 newly-disclosed emails as part of their investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while Secretary of State [Washington Post].
- Donald Trump is relying on a 12-year-old to run his field operations in Jefferson County, Colorado [USA Today].
- Hillary Clinton is set to open a campaign office in Utah [Politico].
- What is Evan McMullin's ultimate endgame? Some speculate he's hoping to win Utah and deny both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump the 270 Electoral Votes they need to win the election [New York Magazine].
- A review of social media used by paid staffers of Donald Trump's campaign found that some of them posted content that was racially charged and very hostile toward Muslims [Associated Press].
- Democratic Congressional candidate Peter Clemens is attacking Rep. Rob Bishop for raising most of his campaign cash from out of state groups [Tribune].
- The Salt Lake Tribune lays out their future course under the ownership of Paul Huntsman who says his father, Jon Huntsman, will have a role at the paper [Tribune, Deseret News].
On this day in history:
- 1775 - Britain's King George III proclaimed the American colonies in a state of open rebellion.
- 1939 - Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union signed a non-aggression pact. Less than two years later, Germany invaded Russia.
Today At Utah Policy
|Utah Students Improve on Math and Science SAGE Tests|
Utah public school students on average improved in mathematics and science and held steady in English language arts end-of-level tests in 2016, according to data released today by the Utah State Board of Education....
|Hatch Calls on Treasury to Re-Propose Debt-Equity Rules|
Citing concerns over the policy and regulatory process of the U.S. Treasury Department’s proposed regulations under Internal Revenue Code section 385 regarding debt and equity, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) called on Treasury Secretary Jack Lew...
Comb Gray Hair
"The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs." Hunter S. Thompson
"A CNN reporter spoke to one of Trump's donors, who said, "Unfortunately, I set up a recurring political contribution on Donald Trump's website, and there's no place on the website to stop the recurring payment." Oops! Supporting Trump is like joining a gym, only it's democracy that isn't working out." Stephen Colbert