Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
You can listen to our interviews with Utah politicians and newsmakers, plus catch "Bernick and Schott on Politics" every week by subscribing to our podcast on iTunes.
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics for Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 237th day of the year. There are 129 days left in 2016.
West Jordan pulls the plug on a proposed Facebook data center. Hillary Clinton's campaign sets up shop in Utah. Donald Trump leads Clinton by 15-points according to a new poll.
- 76 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 152 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 197 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Hillary Clinton's top foreign policy adviser, Jake Sullivan, visits Utah and sounds the alarm about a possible Donald Trump presidency [Utah Policy].
- Republicans John Dougall and David Damschen lead their races for State Auditor and Treasurer respectively [Utah Policy].
- A new survey gives Donald Trump a 15-point lead over Hillary Clinton in Utah. Independent Evan McMullin pulls 9% [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- West Jordan kills a proposal to possibly bring a massive Facebook data center to that city [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Unified Fire Authority leaders spent public money on Apple watches and other big-ticket items according to an analysis of public records [Deseret News].
- Donald Trump's campaign is desperately trying to counter the perception that he is a racist [Washington Post].
- More than half of the non-government people Hillary Clinton met with while Secretary of State donated money to the Clinton Foundation [Associated Press].
- Better for America, a #NeverTrump group that was going to help Evan McMullin get on the ballot in many states, has folded [Washington Post].
- Donald Trump massively hiked the rent for his campaign offices inside Trump Tower after he started soliciting public donations [CBS News].
- Hillary Clinton's relentless use of "Fight Song" at her rallies is driving people nuts [Yahoo!].
On this day in history:
- 79 - Thousands died, and the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum were buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy.
- 1814 - The British captured Washington and burned the Capitol and the White House.
- 1932 - Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly non-stop across the United States.
- 1991 - Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev quit as general secretary of the Communist Party central committee. He also ordered his Cabinet to resign.
- 1992 - Hurricane Andrew smashed into Florida, causing record damage.
Today At Utah Policy
|Luncheon with the Ambassador of Romania|
World Trade Center Utah, in partnership with the Governor's Office of Economic Development and the Salt Lake Chamber, is delighted to welcome His Excellency George Cristian Maior, the Ambassador of Romania....
"A lie which is half a truth is ever the blackest of lies." Alfred Lord Tennyson
Take a Jump
"It looks like all the controversies are taking their toll, with reports that Trump's campaign staff feel like they are wasting their time and that Trump's staff is suicidal. They'd jump off the building, but they're afraid they'd see the word "Trump" on the way down." Stephen Colbert