Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
You can listen to our interviews with Utah politicians and newsmakers, plus catch "Bernick and Schott on Politics" every week by subscribing to our podcast on iTunes.
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics for Tuesday, August 30, 206
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 243rd day of the year. There are 123 days left in 2016.
Mia Love launches first campaign ads. Utahns support spending money on a new Fairpark arena. Russian hackers breach election systems in Arizona and Illinois.
- 70 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 146 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 191 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Mia Love is up with her first television ads ahead of November's election [Utah Policy].
- Nearly half of all Utahns support the legislature spending $10 million on the construction of a new arena at the Utah State Fairpark [Utah Policy].
- The FBI says Russian hackers breached Illinois and Arizona's voter registration databases. The Bureau us urging states to increase cyber security ahead of November's election [Reuters].
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is sending mailers slamming Donald Trump to Utah voters. [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Rep. Mel Brown is dropping his lawsuit challenging his nine-vote loss to Logan Wilde in June's primary election [Tribune].
- Just when you thought this election year couldn't get any weirder, here's news that former Texas Governor Rick Perry is joining the cast of "Dancing With the Stars" [Talking Points Memo].
- Hillary Clinton asked a group of wealthy donors for "ideas" on how to tackle Donald Trump during their first debate next month [CBS News].
- Donald Trump supporter Pastor Mark Burns is furiously backtracking after tweeting a cartoon of Hillary Clinton in blackface [Politico].
- A new poll puts Donald Trump's support among African-American voters at near zero [The Hill]. Another national poll Hillary Clinton a seven-point lead nationally [Politico].
- Even though Donald Trump fired campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, the evidence is mounting that he's still very much involved in Trump's campaign even though Lewandowski has been hired by CNN as an election contributor [ABC News].
On this day in history:
- 1780 - Gen. Benedict Arnold betrayed the United States when he promised secretly to surrender the fort at West Point to the British army. He fled to England and died in poverty.
- 1862 - Union forces were defeated by the Confederates at the Second Battle of Bull Run.
- 1941 - Nazi forces began a siege of Leningrad that lasted nearly two and a half years.
- 2005 - A day after Hurricane Katrina hit, floodwaters covered 80 percent of New Orleans.
Today At Utah Policy
|Utah Industry Snapshot: Computer Science|
What does the educational environment supporting workforce development within Utah's IT industry look like? To answer that question EDCUtah sat down for a conversation with Dr. Ross T. Whitaker, director of the University of Utah School of Computing.EDCUtah:Describe for us t...
Guardian of Liberty
"The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty." James Madison
Hot or Not
"Trump will be the first president to make decisions by playing "Hot or Not" with world leaders. Like, "Angela Merkel, not hot. Vladimir Putin, very hot." Jimmy Fallon