Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
Note from UtahPolicy.com Publisher LaVarr Webb:
It's time to reveal my secret life - as a farmer. Yes, my farm has grassfed Dexter beef and pastured pork for sale in half or whole portions. If you want some delicious locally-raised, natural meat, in bulk portions, check out the Hawk Ridge Ranch Utah web site and click on the link to order beef or pork. -LaVarr
Ten Things You Need to Know for Wednesday - August 5, 2015
Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City.
The lineup for the first GOP debate is set. The Prison Relocation Commission could announce a new site next week. Becker has a massive cash advantage over his nearest rival.
- 6 days to the Utah municipal primary elections - (8/11/2015)
- 90 days to the 2015 election - (11/3/2015)
- 166 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) - (1/18/2016)
- 173 days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (1/25/2016)
- 174 days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary - (1/26/2016)
- 218 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature - (3/10/2016)
- 328 days to the 2016 Utah primary election - (6/28/2016)
- 461 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
Wednesday's top-10 headlines:
- Fox News announces the ten candidates who will be on the stage during the first debate Thursday night in Cleveland [Politico].
- The Prison Relocation Commission may announce the proposed site for the new correctional facility next week [Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News, ABC 4].
- Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker has a massive cash advantage over his nearest rival, Jackie Biskupski. The independent PAC formed by a billboard company is spending big in that race according to new financial disclosure forms [Utah Policy].
- The Salt Lake County Council votes to put a proposed sales tax hike to fund transportation on November's ballot [Deseret News, Tribune, Fox 13].
- The Provo City Council gives the thumbs up to a proposed property tax increase [Daily Herald].
- State officials are making recommendations on how best to keep service members safe in the aftermath of the deadly shooting in Chatanooga [ABC 4].
- Two Salt Lake City school districts approve property tax hikes. The money raised will mostly pay to help fund charter schools [Tribune].
- Overstock.com chairman Jonathan Johnson talks more about his possible challenge to Gov. Gary Herbert next year [Tribune].
- Utah State Prison officials are on alert after a drone was sited flying near the facility last month [Deseret News, Tribune, Fox 13].
- The LDS Church releases the first-ever photos of the "seer stone" used by founder Joseph Smith to produce the Book of Mormon [Tribune, Deseret News, Fox 13].
On this day in history:
- 1861 - President Abraham Lincoln approved the first federal income tax. It was rescinded in 1872.
- 1884 - The cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty was laid on Bedloe's Island in New York Harbor.
- 1962 - Marilyn Monroe died of an overdose at the age of 35.
- 1974 - President Richard Nixon admitted ordering the Watergate investigation halted six-days after the break-in. Nixon said he expected to be impeached.
Today At Utah Policy
|Hatch Commemorates Passage of ADA|
Orrin Hatch celebrates the 25th anniversaryof the American with Disabilities Act, calling his efforts to get the legislation signed back in 1990"one of the most important things that I've everdone in the Senate."...
|Press Release: Hatch Works to Defund Planned Parenthood |
Following a series of disturbing videos documenting Planned Parenthood officials attempting to sell the body parts of aborted babies, the United States Senate held a vote to end federal funding the organization. Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the senior Republican in the Unite...
|Hatch, Grassley and Barrasso Question CMS on Failed Exchanges|
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) along with Senators Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), sent a letter to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Acting Administrator Andy Slavitt asking for the agency’s position on t...