Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 11, 2013
Countdown: There are 56 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 140 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 415 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 852 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Utah's entire Congressional delegation now opposes using military force in Syria [Tribune].
- The House committee tasked with investigating Attorney General John Swallow holds their first public meeting on Wednesday [Tribune].
- The Utah State Elections Office investigation into whether Swallow violated campaign finance laws could be finished by mid-December [Utah Policy].
- Democratic State Senator Luz Robles officially launches her bid for Congress [Utah Policy].
- Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams wants to use $1.3 million to put all 9-1-1- calls on the same system in the Salt Lake Valley [Tribune].
- A new study finds Utahns drive more, not less, on red air quality days [Tribune].
- A coalition of environmental groups oppose expansion of the Coal Hollow Mine near Alton [Tribune].
- Gas prices are dropping in Utah as the summer driving season comes to an end [Tribune].
- Salt Lake City looks to hire a "civic engagement coordinator" to head up public outreach efforts [Tribune].
- Residents in North Salt Lake will ask Gov. Gary Herbert to shut down a medical incinerator in that community [Deseret News].
- A judge rules Talisker will not get access to certain emails in a dispute with Park City Mountain Resort [Tribune].
- The Bountiful City Council votes to delay construction of a new city hall after protests from residents over the projects $10 million price tag [Tribune].
- Some Weber County voters who used vote-by-mail ballots are upset they didn't get their customary "I voted" sticker [Standard-Examiner].
Today At Utah Policy
|'Other' Probe into Swallow Chugging Along Away from the Spotlight|
Wednesdaymorning is the second formal meeting of the Utah House's committee concerning Attorney General John Swallow wrongdoing investigation.And perhaps in October, the federal government's examination of any criminal activity by Swallow will wrap up. (Swallow and his attor...
|The Road Ahead for 'Count My Vote'|
Two thirds of "Republican insiders" believe the Count My Vote effort of gathering enough voter signatures to get election "reform" on the 2014 ballot will succeed....
|Rep. Greg Hughes: Anticipating Future Transportation Needs|
In his speeches on politics and public policy, Greg Hughes is fond of quoting hockey star Wayne Gretzky, who said that good hockey players skate to the puck. But great hockey players have a sixth sense that allows them to skate to where puck is going to be....
|Utah Selected to Host 2014 Afterschool Learning Summit |
The Utah Afterschool Network has been selected by the National League of Cities as one of five networks nationwide to host a statewide Mayoral Summit on Afterschool and Expanded Learning in 2014. Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker will co-host with UAN, the Utah League of Cit...
"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War."
George WashingtonQuotations Page
"President Obama is asking Congress to support a military strike in Syria. If they approve, it will be the first time Congress has officially declared war since Obamacare." Jay Leno Political Humor