Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, September 12, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 12, 2013
Countdown: There are 55 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 139 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 414 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 851 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- The Legislative probe into John Swallow's asks Utahns with knowledge of misdeeds by the Attorney General to come forward [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- Sales tax revenue in Salt Lake County is down more than 3% following the massive landslide at Kennecott Utah Copper [Tribune].
- Gov. Gary Herbert says he's working with Sen. President Wayne Niederhauser to tweak Utah's new school grading system [Tribune].
- Activists rally at the Utah Capitol, asking Gov. Herbert to shut down a medical waste incinerator in North Salt Lake [Tribune].
- Gov. Herbert says the NRA still sees him as an ally despite his decision to veto a controversial bill that would allow Utahns to carry concealed weapons without a permit [Deseret News].
- Sen. Pat Jones is prepping to unveil her latest effort to eliminate the personal income tax exemption for children in order to provide more funding for schools [Tribune].
- Some restaurants with liquor licenses are trying to get a bar license, which will allow them to operate without a "Zion curtain" [Tribune].
- A survey from the Salt Lake Chamber finds 3/4 of small businessesin Utah don't like Obamacare, but even more don't know what is required of them under the new law [Tribune].
- Utah regulators approve a plan to bring pollution levels along the Wasatch Front in compliance with federal regulations by 2019 [Tribune].
- A new Spanish-language newspaper launches in Utah, targeting both Latinos and Spanish-speaking returned LDS missionaries [Tribune].
- TRAX ridership jumped 141% last weekend due to a number of events in downtown Salt Lake City [Tribune].
Today At Utah Policy
|House Investigation of Swallow Seeks Witnesses|
If you see something, say something.That's the universal call for citizens to watch out for crime, abuse, bullying and then get involved and report.Well, the Utah House's special investigation of Attorney General John Swallow is asking Utahns who know anything fishy about ou...
|'Other' Probe into Swallow Chugging Along Away from the Spotlight|
Wednesdaymorning is the second formal meeting of the Utah House's committee concerning Attorney General John Swallow wrongdoing investigation.And perhaps in October, the federal government's examination of any criminal activity by Swallow will wrap up. (Swallow and his attor...
Duty of Man
"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth."
"President Obama says the lack of response to Syria so far does not threaten his credibility. And you know something, he's right. The economy, Benghazi, the spying scandal that threatens his credibility, but this other stuff, no." Jay Leno Political Humor