Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 17, 2013
Countdown: There are 50 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 134 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 409 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 846 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Lt. Governor Greg Bell announces he is stepping down in order to find employment in the private sector [Tribune, Utah Policy].
- A leaked document from the governor's office suggests Gov. Gary Herbert hopes to name Bell's replacement quite soon [Utah Policy].
- That same document warns against reacting to "rants" from Democratic Party Chair Jim Dabakis during the search for Bell's replacement [Utah Policy].
- A number of Utahns take shelter during Monday's mass shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. [Tribune].
- Sen. Mike Lee wants to raise the federal per-child tax credit by $2,500 [Deseret News].
- Utah lawmakers prepare to take bids on possibly relocating the state prison [Deseret News].
- Some campaign shenanigans are taking place in North Ogden as campaign signs are disappearing or being moved [Standard-Examiner].
- Robert Redford speaks to a crowd of about 2,000 at the annual Equality Utah Allies dinner [Deseret News].
- Environmentalists protest a decision by the BLM to open up part of the San Rafael Swell to energy exploration [Tribune].
- An attorney for a fired West Valley City police officer involved in the shooting of an unarmed civilian says the city didn't follow protocol when terminating his employment [Tribune].
- The LDS Church joins a growing chorus of churches asking their adherents to help defend "religious liberty" [Deseret News].
- The UTA does not plan to make any cuts to service when they make changes to schedules in December [Tribune].
- Attendance at the Utah State Fair drops 15% from last year [Tribune].
Today At Utah Policy
|Utah Deepens Bonds with Top Trade Partner|
Utah's trade mission to China led by the Governor's Office of Economic Development had a successful openinglast week, with multiple presentations, press conferences and business matchmaking meetings in Chengdu, a city located in southwest China with a population of over 14 m...
|Insider Survey: Luz Robles' Chances in Utah's 2nd District|
Our "Political Insiders" and readers weigh in on whether Democrat Luz Robles has a shot at winning a Congressional seat in 2014. Read on for results and comments.Selected anonymous comments:"Ms. Robles has a kind heart and lots of guts and has been somewhat effective in the ...
"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War."
George Washington Quotations Page
"Since marijuana is now legal in Colorado they have to tax it like anything else, and this got people upset. This week, activists in Colorado were handing out free marijuana to protest the high taxes. Then later the pot activists were like, 'We did WHAT?'" Jimmy Fallon Political Humor