Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, September 23, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 23, 2013
Countdown: There are 44 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 128 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 403 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 840 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Utah GOP officials plot their strategy to fight against the "Count My Vote" initiative. Party Chair James Evans says CMV will win if the party continues to "fight change" [Tribune].
- Rep. Jim Dunnigan, who is heading up the House investigation into John Swallow, says they are making some progress, but probably not as fast as the public would like [Tribune].
- Rep. Ken Ivory says the investigation into Swallow should pause following a decision by federal prosecutors to not charge the Attorney General [Tribune].
- Prosecutors say the Utah Attorney General's office should not be disqualified from the investigation into Mark Sessions Jenson [Tribune].
- Utah's violent crime rate edges higher over the last year [Tribune].
- The fight over a proposed nuclear power plant near Green River goes to court this week [Tribune].
- Rep. Jim Matheson goes against Congressional Democrats to vote in favor of a temporary budget measure that defunds Obamacare [Tribune].
- Sen. Orrin Hatch says there are more questions than answers for the IRS over their alleged targeting of conservative groups [Tribune].
- The proposed West Davis Corridor freeway has a new opponent - the Army Corps of Engineers [Tribune].
- New unemployment numbers suggest Utah's rate of job growth is slowing down [Tribune].
- Provo holds its first gay pride festival [Tribune].
- The Salt Lake County GOP picks Kevin Jacobs to be the new county assessor [Tribune].
- The Davis School District is considering selling ads on school buses to boost revenue [Deseret News].
- The number of adoptions in Utah are declining as many blame the cost red tape [Deseret News].
- Sequestration budget cuts force the early closure of Timpanogos cave this year [Fox 13].
Today At Utah Policy
|Bob Bernick's Notebook: Cut off the Head and the Body Will Die|
Best to just cut off the snake's head.That's how I see the move by Count My Vote to not "tweak" Utah's caucus/convention, primary ballot candidate process, but in effect dump the current caucus/convention system for a direct route to a party's primary....
|Who Will Be Utah's Next Lt. Governor?|
Who will Gov. Gary Herbert select to replace Lt. Governor Greg Bell? We asked our "Political Insiders" and readers who they think will end up as Utah's next #2 at the statehouse.Selected anonymous comments:"Who ever the Utah GOP has tapped to be the next Governor.""No notion...
|Brazil to Host World Cup, Olympics and Utah Delegation|
The Utah trade mission to Brazil led by Governor's Office of Economic Development is bound for the cities of Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Londrina and Rio de Janeiro. While visiting these cities, the Utah delegation will meet with Brazilian business leaders, government and education...
Salt Lake Tribune
Op-ed: Time to decriminalize polygamy
Op-ed: School grading system deserves an F minus
Op-ed: Where every teacher is an English teacher
Ivory: Hold up Swallow probe
Hatch: Questions for IRS
Editorial: 'Extra' money: Help schools that got low grades
Editorial: Mike Lee's madness: Drive to defund ACA is insane
Editorial: Wage gap: Utah women earn less than men
Utah's rate of job growth slowed in August
House members cool to Swallow probe - even as it's warming up
Swallow probe panel reports progress, but it's slow
County GOP picks Jacobs to be new assessor
Army Corps of Engineers may block W. Davis freeway
Matheson bucks Dems, votes with GOP to strip Obamacare funds
Plan for controversial Kanab energy plant goes belly up
Utah GOP chairman: Count My Vote will prevail if party fights change
D.C. Notebook: Lee's visits to S.C., Iowa don't hint at White House bid
Most Utah small businesses don't like Obamacare, try to comply
Rolly: Obamacare defunders don't want to hear this story
Op-ed: Local school boards work hard for education
John Florez: Health care is a moral dilemma
Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Potential lieutenant governor appointments, and their odds
Robert Bennett: Considerations on 'Count My Vote'
Editorial: SITLA transparency
Utah congressmen vote to defund Obamacare
Public, higher education priorities competing for $242 million surplus
Politics of health care reform, cuts impact mental health, substance abuse treatment
Long-time deputy selected assessor by Salt Lake County GOP
State GOP leaders plot strategy against Count My Vote initiative
Adoptions on the decline, advocates blame costly, time-consuming regulations
Utah knows: Destruction of Syria's chemical weapons will be a daunting task
Understanding health care: New options begin Oct. 1
Davis seeks to boost revenue by putting ads on school buses
Op-ed: Don't fall for false initiatives (Daily Herald)
Compromise being worked out on Same Day Voter registration (Daily Herald)
Lee touts free enterprise to help higher education succeed (Standard-Examiner)
Uneven economic recovery hurts Utah mid- and low-income families (Standard-Examiner)
Layton economic development booming (Standard-Examiner)
Bishop to Interior: Butt out on Davis corridor (Standard-Examiner)
Chamber CEO talks 'Branding Cache Valley,' says area has much to offer (Logan Herald Journal)
If NSA was snooping in Park City during Games, City Hall was unaware (Park Record)
Tourism in Utah continues to grow (Park Record)
Lawmakers wary of Obama meeting with Iranian president (The Hill)
Pope Francis's New Tone Suggests an Age of Change Ahead (Bloomberg)
Clinton mulls idea of White House run, aware of 'challenges' (Reuters)
Obama urges new gun law push at CBC Foundation dinner (Associated Press)
State, school leaders tread lightly so far on segregation controversy at University of Alabama (Fox News)
House Judiciary chairman pledges action on immigration, says work happening behind the scenes (Associated Press)
Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016? So far, just keeping in touch (Associated Press)
Rand Paul touts Michigan poll win (Politico)
For Janet Yellen, nomination may be easy part (Politico)
Mark Zuckerberg steers clear of NSA talk on Hill (Politico)
Shooting of 13 at park puts Chicago back in the spotlight (Chicago Tribune)
Jobless rates hold steady or fall in 32 states (USA Today)
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."C. S. Lewis Quotations Page
"President Obama warned that the government could shut down in two weeks. Obama added, 'Not because of a budget impasse but because we'll all be watching the last episode of 'Breaking Bad.'" Conan O'Brien Political Humor