Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Thursday, September 26, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 26, 2013
Countdown:There are 41 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 125 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 400 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 837 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- Sen. Mike Lee takes a supporting role in Texas Sen. Ted Cruz's 21-hour non-filibuster [Tribune].
- Sen. Lee is planning a trip to Iowa in November, fueling some speculation he has his eyes on the White House [Deseret News].
- The NSA's data center at Camp Williams may already be operating [Tribune].
- The Utah Legislature unveils a new website feature allowing citizens to track legislation during the session [Utah Policy].
- Utah prepares to run its own health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act [KSL].
- Utah's Congressional Republicans are pushing a measure to protect religious people who oppose same-sex marriage [Tribune].
- Colorado officials are asking the Pentagon to allow Utah National Guard engineers who have been furloughed because of federal sequester budget cuts to be allowed to help with flood recovery efforts in that state [Tribune].
- The "Count My Vote" group releases a letter signed by 15 past presidents of the Utah State Bar saying their initiative passes constitutional muster [Tribune].
- Utah child advocacy groups stand behind President Obama's plan to hike cigarette taxes to pay for preschool education [Tribune].
- Utah joins 39 other states in urging the federal government to regulate e-cigarettes [KSL].
- The Salt Lake County Council debates whether they should join the call to shut down a medical incinerator in North Salt Lake [Tribune].
- Utah Judge Carolyn McHugh, a nominee to the federal bench, appears before the Senate Judiciary Committee [Tribune].
- Residents in Enoch are gathering signatures to oppose a proposed 113% property tax hike [Fox 13].
Today At Utah Policy
|Enterprising Cities: SLC's Investment Key to Economic Strength|
Salt Lake City's leaders focus on the future as well as the investments and partnerships required to ensure future competition and continued prosperity for the Salt Lake region, according to a new report released today by theU.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. The report,En...
|Count My Vote Delivers Constitutional Memorandum and Letter|
Today, Count My Vote delivered a comprehensive legal memorandum to the Utah Lieutenant Governor's office, which examines the constitutionality of its citizens' initiative petition. The memo was accompanied by a letter signed by fifteen former Presidents of the Utah State Bar...
Success of Liberty
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
John F. Kennedy Quotations Page
"Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff is apparently so mad over the NSA's spying scandal that she has canceled her trip to the White House next month. Of course it didn't help when Brazil called to say they weren't coming and the White House was like, 'Yeah, we heard.'" Jimmy Fallon Political Humor