Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Monday, September 29, 2014
Ten Things You Need to Know for Monday - September 29, 2014
Herbert's approval ratings remain high while Lee's are recovering. Mia Love talks campaign 2014. Equality Utah names a controversial figure as its new head.
- Days to the 2014 midterm election - 36
- Days until the opening day of the 2015 Utah Legislature - 119
- Days to the final day of the 2015 Utah Legislature - 164
- Days to the 2015 election - 400
- Days to the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (tentative) - 476
- Days until the 2016 presidential election - 771
Monday's top-10 headlines:
- Gov. Herbert's approval ratings continue to impress while Sen. Mike Lee's numbers are starting to recover [Utah Policy].
- Mia Love talks campaign 2014 and how, if elected, she will vote to repeal Obamacare [Utah Policy].
- Democrat Brian Wonnacott, who is challenging Rep. Jason Chaffetz, isn't putting up much of a fight [Tribune].
- The two candidates for Attorney General are on opposite sides of the same-sex marriage issue [Tribune].
- An activist group releases a survey showing Utahns are split on the issue of same-sex marriage [Tribune].
- On Monday, the Supreme Court starts considering whether they will take up a number of same-sex marriage cases next year [Deseret News].
- Troy Williams, an activist with a flair for controversy, is named the new head of Equality Utah [Tribune].
- Sen. John Valentine reflects on more than a quarter-century in the legislature [Daily Herald].
- Some Republicans admit they waited to confirm Valentine to the Utah Tax Commission to keep his seat from being filled by a general election this November [Tribune].
- About a half-dozen firms are interested in building the convention center hotel in downtown Salt Lake City [Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1789 - The U.S. War Department established a regular army.
- 1978 - Pope John Paul I was found dead a little more than one month after becoming head of the Roman Catholic Church.
- 2005 - John Roberts was sworn in as the nation's 17th chief justice.
- 2008 - The Dow Jones Industrial average fell more than 777 points after the House defeated a $700 billion rescue plan for the nation's financial system.
Today At Utah Policy
|Mia Love Talks Campaign 2014 (Video)|
Mia Love, Republican candidate in Utah's 4th Congressional District, says she's learned some important lessons during her second run for Congress....
|Bernick and Schott on Politics - Episode #206|
Utahns sure like the idea of teachers packing heat! Also, debate season is upon us and lawmakers may be considering a record number of bills in 2015. Bob Bernick and Bryan Schott run down the week in Utah politics....
"The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business of america is justice and securing the blessings of liberty."
George F. Will Quotations Page
"President Obama is facing criticism over an incident . . . .where he was holding a cup of coffee in his hand, and then used that same hand to salute a Marine. Though with all that's going on in the world, I'm surprised he didn't salute with a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and a cigarette in the other." Jimmy FallonPolitical Humor