Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
How to Sound Smart About Utah Politics - September 4, 2013
Countdown:There are 63 days to the 2013 municipal elections, 147 days until the start of the 2014 Legislature, 422 days until the 2014 midterm elections and 859 days until the 2016 Iowa Caucuses.
- The "Count My Vote" group seeking to establish an alternative path to the primary ballot announces they are 1/3 of the way to their $1.5 million goal [Utah Policy, Tribune].
- Not every member of Utah's Congressional delegation is sold on the plan for missile strikes against Syria [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Utah unveils their new grading program for public schools [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Opponents of the grading system worry it will turn public opinion against schools [Tribune].
- The new grades engender sharp reaction both pro and con [Deseret News].
- Emails show Mark Robbins, who fled the state in 2009 to avoid creditors, was involved in the development surrounding a UTA station Draper in 2010. Former Attorney General Mark Shurtleff allegedly offered one of Robbins' critics $2 million to keep quiet [City Weekly].
- New Census numbers show the number of college students across the country dipped more than 2% last year, but the number of Latinos entering college jumped 15% [Tribune].
- A judge is set to hear arguments over whether Clark Aposhian's ex-wife will get a protective order against the prominent gun lobbyist [Tribune].
- Dean Armstrong, the former mayor of Helper, is sentenced to home confinement following a guilty plea to a DUI charge [Tribune].
- Utah joins the NRA in seeking to lift a ban on selling handguns to people under the age of 21 [Deseret News].
- The BLM gives money for a road project in the Little Sahara recreation area [Tribune].
- The Utah County Commission is considering a proposal to spend nearly $3 million for a mass transit project in Orem and Provo [Daily Herald].
Today At Utah Policy
|Count My Vote Group Raises $540,000|
The Count My Vote citizen petition initiative group has raised more than $540,000, a third of the cash leaders say is needed to get on the 2014 ballot a measure that would expand political party primaries in Utah....
|Rubin: Lee's 'Isolationist' Stance Wrong|
The Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin says the "isolationist" strategy for U.S. foreign policy advocated by Sens. Mike Lee, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul is exactly the wrong path for the country to follow....
|Transparency: Shining the Light on School Grading|
When the roll-out of a landmark educational policy is prefaced by statements from legislative leaders like, "you should expect resistance from some who are uncomfortable with transparency," or, in referring to comments from concerned educators, "don't take them seriously," i...
|Utah's Economy is Booming, but Education May be Achilles Heel|
The Economist gives high marks to Utah's economy in this article, but not everything is hunky dory in the Beehive State.The profile hits the usual highlights - low taxes, low unemployment, a growing high-tech sector. But one thing threatens to derail all of that - Utah's und...
|Why the GOP Will Cave on Debt Ceiling Fight|
Are you worried about Republican threats to hold the debt ceiling hostage unless the White House agrees to another round of spending cuts? Business Insider's Josh Barrow says you shouldn't be, because the GOP is "full of it."...
|Lee: Even Labor Unions Hate Obamacare|
PolitiFact rates as "mostly true" a recent assertion by Sen. Mike Lee that Americans on both the Right and the Left, including many labor unions, oppose Obamacare....
"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."
C. S. Lewis Quotations Page
Raising the Debt Limit
"The treasury secretary has now asked Congress to raise the debt limit for borrowing more money as soon as possible. The secretary of the treasury said if Congress doesn't act soon, the government will have to work with only the money it has now. You know, like the rest of us do." Jay Leno Political Humor