Utah's Daily Policy Resource | Brought to you by Utah Policy
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Listen to our interviews, podcasts and other audio on Soundcloud.
You can listen online or on their app, available in the iTunes or Google Play store.
Morning Must Reads for Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 250th day of the year. There are 116 days left in 2016.
Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 2 points in Utah's 4th Congressional District. Clinton warns against Russian meddling in November's election. Trump agrees to attend all three debates.
- 63 days until the 2016 presidential election - (11/8/2016)
- 139 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (1/23/2017)
- 184 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature - (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Tuesday:
- Poll shocker! Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 2 points in Utah's 4th Congressional District. Could that provide a boost for either Mia Love or Doug Owens? [Utah Policy].
- Hillary Clinton says possible meddling by Russians in the November election is a serious threat, and it should be addressed immediately [Bloomberg].
- Poll Roundup: Hillary Clinton has a big electoral college advantage heading into the final stretch before election day [Washington Post]. However, a new national poll gives Donald Trump a slight two-point lead over Clinton [CNN].
- Donald Trump commits to attending all three presidential debates saying the only thing that will keep him away is a "natural disaster" [Politico].
- Hillary Clinton used at least eight different mobile devices to send emails while she was Secretary of State, but none of them were recovered by the FBI during their investigation of her use of a private email server [Bloomberg].
- Congress returns to work for the final days of the 114th Congress hoping to keep the government funded in order to avoid another shutdown [CBS News].
- Conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly dies at the age of 92 [Politico].
- Retiring Sen. Steve Urquhart reflects on his time on Utah's Capitol Hill [Deseret News].
- Business for ride-share services like Uber and Lyft has tripled in the last year [Tribune].
- President Barack Obama pledges $90 million in aid to Laos over the next three years to help clear unexploded bombs dropped during the Vietnam war [USA Today].
On this day in history:
- 1522 - One of Ferdinand Magellan's five ships - the Vittoria - arrived in Spain completing the first circumnavigation of the world.
- 1620 - 149 Pilgrims set sail from England aboard the Mayflower, bound for the New World.
- 1901 - President William McKinley was shot by an anarchist in Buffalo, N.Y. McKinley died eight days later.
- 1916 - The first self-service grocery store, Piggly Wiggly, was opened in Memphis, Tenn.
Today At Utah Policy
|Should More Candidates be Included in the Utah Debates?|
The Republicans and Democrats in this week's "Political Insiders" survey think the current requirements for participating in the Utah Debate Commission debates this fall are just fine, while our readers say more candidates should be included....
|Voters Want Gary Johnson and Jill Stein Included in Debates|
In order to make the stage for the presidential debates, candidates must be at 15% support in an average of six selected polls prior to the event. Neither Libertarian Gary Johnson nor Green Party nominee Jill Stein have met that threshold, but half of all voters would like t...
|USTAR Confluence: Where Innovation Meets Economic Development|
On Oct. 4-5, the Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative will hold its third annual two-day research and commercialization workshop, 2016 Confluence: Where Innovation Meets Economic Development, at the James L. Sorenson Molecular Biotechnology Building on the Un...
Watch Your Words
"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." Benjamin Franklin
"Donald Trump gave a big speech on immigration . . . . And during the speech, he said that Mexico is 100% going to pay for his, quote, "beautiful border wall." Mexicans were like, "Wait, you never said it was going to be beautiful. Who do we write the check out to?" Jimmy Fallon