Utah's Daily Policy Resource, Brought to you by Utah Policy
You can listen to our interviews with Utah politicians and newsmakers, plus catch the award-winning "Bernick and Schott on Politics" every week by subscribing to our podcasts.
If you like what you hear, rate us and leave a review (it helps people find us).
Situational awareness - July 17, 2018
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City.
The White House is doing damage control after Trump's disastrous meeting with Putin. Lawmakers make a deal on the inland port. Federal authorities arrest an accused Russian agent.
- 112 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
- 195 days until the first day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (1/28/2019)
- 840 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS NEWSLETTER
Thanks for reading Utah's must-read daily political news roundup. If you would like to subscribe to our morning newsletter, you can SIGN UP HERE.
Got a confidential news tip? You can reach me via encrypted, secure email at email@example.com.
HERE ARE THE STORIES YOU SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO TODAY
Inland port deal
Gov. Gary Herbert calls a special session for Wednesday after state leaders and the Salt Lake City Council reach a deal on the inland port - http://bit.ly/2mlBDyo
Some Utah politicos rip Trump after his press conference with Putin
Some members of Utah's congressional delegation had some harsh words following President Trump's meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, while others were more reserved [Deseret News, Tribune].
Utahns favor gas tax hike for education
Our recent polling finds a slight majority of Utahns favor raising the gasoline tax in order to help boost education funding in the state - http://bit.ly/2L1wMkI
Podcast: Trump's tariffs and Utah
Derek Miller, President and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber, says the trade war is causing some Utah businesses to hold back on expansion plans - http://bit.ly/2zI6kaH
Legal writing honor
An analysis of nearly 900 amicus briefs filed with the Supreme Court found one of Utah Solicitor General Tyler Green's submissions had the best writing - http://bit.ly/2mmblfm
OTHER UTAH HEADLINES
- A key confidant of Jon Huntsman, Jr. says he should resign as Ambassador to Russia following President Trump's meeting with Vladimir Putin [Tribune].
- A community group is urging the Salt Lake City Council to pass an ordinance to create a newly elected board to hold police more accountable [Tribune].
- Newly public records detail how Utah pitched the National Security Agency to build a data center at Camp Williams [Tribune].
- The state school board gives $1.4 million in loans to new charter schools [KSL].
- The White House is doing damage control following President Trump's disastrous summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin where Trump rejected his own intelligence agencies and sided with Putin's denials that his intelligence apparatus interfered in the 2016 presidential election - http://bit.ly/2L0X074
- Republicans react with shock to Trump's performance during his joint press conference with Putin on Monday - https://abcn.ws/2L2392z
- Fox News' Chris Wallace grills Russian President Vladimir Putin during a televised interview. During the conversation, Putin refused to look at a copy of the indictments of 12 Russians accused of interfering in the 2016 election - http://bit.ly/2L1paOZ
- Trump was given around 100 pages of briefing materials about how to handle Putin during their meeting, but the president ignored most of it according to White House sources - https://wapo.st/2L4y928
- Hours after Trump's press conference with Putin, federal authorities arrested a woman who tried to broker a secret meeting between Trump and Putin during the 2016 campaign. Mariia Butina was charged with being a Russian agent - https://nyti.ms/2L23QsH
- House leaders quash an effort by conservatives to force Democrats to take a potentially politically damaging vote on a plan to abolish ICE - http://bit.ly/2KZY4I9
- Nearly 50 Democratic congressional challengers outraised their Republican opponents during the most recent fundraising period - http://bit.ly/2L1DTK2
- A new national poll finds the vast majority of American parents of school-aged children oppose arming teachers or placing armed guards in schools to prevent shootings - https://wapo.st/2KZjt4h
- The FCC expresses "serious concerns" about Sinclair Broadcasting's $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media. The proposed deal would give Sinclair, already the largest local TV station owner in the U.S., access to 3/4 of American households. The FCC is sending the proposal through a lengthy review process, likely dooming the deal - http://bit.ly/2KZYHBv
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos becomes the richest man in modern history with a net worth of over $150 billion - https://bloom.bg/2KZYrm1
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- 1867 - Harvard School of Dental Medicine is established in Boston. It is the first dental school in the U.S. that is affiliated with a university.
- 1918 - Russian Czar Nicholas II and his family were killed by Bolsheviks who held them captive for two months.
- 1938 - Douglas Corrigan takes off from Brooklyn to fly the "wrong way" to Ireland and becomes know as "Wrong Way" Corrigan.
- 1955 - Disneyland is dedicated and opened by Walt Disney in Anaheim, California.
- 1975 - An American Apollo and a Soviet Soyuz spacecraft dock with each other in orbit, marking the first such link-up between spacecraft from the two nations.
- 1981 - 114 people were killed and 200 injured in the collapse of two suspended walkways at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Kansas City, Mo.
- 1984 - The national drinking age in the U.S. was changed from 18 to 21.
- 1996 - TWA Flight 800, New York to Paris, crashed off the Long Island coast, killing all 230 people aboard.
Today At Utah Policy
Biskupski rebuffed pleas to join inland port negotiations, barred city employees from participating in talks
Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski has been absent from negotiations between city and state leaders over changes to the controversial inland port bill, but it's not for lack of trying....
4th CD race between Love and McAdams now rated as a 'toss up'
Real Clear Politics has moved their rating of the 4th Congressional District race between Rep. Mia Love and Democrat Ben McAdams to a "toss-up." Previously, they had rated the contest as "leans GOP."...
Count My Vote pushes back against claims of fraudulent signatures in court filing
Two Utahns who claim that they had their names fraudulently added to the Count My Voice petition initiative joined an effort to intervene in CMV's appeal to the Utah Supreme Court. But, CMV says their claims of fraud appear to be meritless....
Poll: Utahns narrowly support ballot question on raising gas tax to boost education funding
By a narrow margin, most Utahns support a November ballot nonbinding measure that would ask the state Legislature to raise the state gasoline tax 10 cents per gallon, with the understanding the new money would go to public education, a new UtahPolicy.com poll shows...
Podcast: Derek Miller, President and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber discusses President Trump's trade war
Derek Miller, the new President and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber, speaks with Managing Editor Bryan Schott about President Trump's trade war and its effect on Utah business....
Lawmakers and Salt Lake City Councilmembers reach agreement on inland port without Mayor Jackie Biskupski
Negotiations between Gov. Gary Herbert, legislative leaders and the Salt Lake City Council over the controversial inland port have been successful enough for Herbert to call lawmakers into a special session on Wednesday to make changes to the bill passed in the final hours o...
Utah's solicitor general earns top scores for legal writing
There were nearly 900 amicus briefs submitted to the Supreme Court during 2017. Out of all of those, the one with the best writing came from Utah Solicitor General Tyler Green....
'Political Insiders' say Brett Kavanaugh should be confirmed to the Supreme Court before the 2018 midterms
Our "Political Insiders" expect Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump's newest Supreme Court nominee, to cruise through his confirmation and be installed on the high court before the 2018 midterms....
Lee pushes back against Democrats who say Trump should cancel his meeting with Putin
Sen. Mike Lee says Democrats who are calling for President Trump to cancel his Monday meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin are wrong....
Democrat McAdams has more campaign cash than Republican Love
Democratic 4th district congressional candidate Ben McAdams reports having more campaign money available than his Republican opponent, Mia Love....
Policy NewsU.S. Term Limits praises Utah State Representative McCay for signing its pledge
U.S. Term Limits (USTL), the leader in the national movement to limit terms for elected officials, is currently gathering support from state lawmakers across the nation....
Rep. Love passes fourth bill in the U.S. House
The House passed Congresswoman Love's Juab County Conveyance Act (H.R. 3777) by voice vote....
Mayor Kurt Bradburn selects William O'Neal for Sandy Police Chief
Mayor Kurt Bradburn announced his official selection of former Deputy Chief William O'Neal to lead the Sandy Police Department....
Salt Lake Chamber statement on improvements to the Inland Port Authority
Derek B. Miller, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber and Downtown Alliance, issued the following statement on Utah's Inland Port Authority and Governor Herbert's call for a special session this Wednesday:...
Fox Files: 'Behind the numbers'
We just concluded our fiscal year, which gives us a chance to reflect on the last year and to plan for the year ahead....
Salt Lake Tribune
Editorial: On school testing, Utah must make up its mind
With nearly 125,000 attending in 2018, Sundance Film Festival is a major economic draw, study says
BYU will appeal judge's ruling that its police department should be subject to Utah's open-records laws
Wilderness activist Rose Chilcoat won't be tried in southern Utah corral dispute; state decides not to fight move to drop charges
UTA suggests possible sale of naming rights for its TRAX lines or stations as a way to raise money
Senate confirms Utahn to the Federal Reserve board
SLC Airport traffic grew by 1 million passengers last year to now rank as nation's 23rd largest
Utah Rep. Chris Stewart says Trump is not a 'Russian stooge'
Editorial: As adoption enters the culture war, what's best for the children?
Utah County GOP chooses Marsha Judkins to fill Utah House seat
Senate confirms Utah investor to serve on Federal Reserve board
Utah legislative leaders plan to add child tax credit to special session agenda
Sen. Orrin Hatch would back legislation to restrict Trump's 'reckless' reliance on tariffs
Legislative auditors ask colleges: 'Dude, where's your keys?'
Sundance '18 shines with 124K attendees generating nearly $200 million
Legislators: Logan stuck with sales tax loss to fund SLC homeless issues (Logan Herald Journal)
Intel Chair: FBI, DOJ Obstructing Trump Probe in Hope of Dem Takeover in Congress (Free Beacon)
'Abolish ICE' is going to hurt Democrats in the midterms (The Hill)
A war over workers' rights, individual versus collective (Washington Examiner)
Trump, House Republicans discuss further tax cuts at White House (Reuters)
Less than half of US school districts test drinking water for lead: Report (ABC News)
No 'underlying facts' to pursue Trump impeachment, top House Democrat says (Politico)
Judge sides with Trump admin in Planned Parenthood suit over changes to federal funding (The Hill)
Sparks fly at hearing on anti-conservative bias in tech (The Hill)
Boeing Gets $3.9 Billion Contract for New Air Force One (Bloomberg)
Former top Trump aide Steve Bannon: President 'needs to unite the West against the rise of a totalitarian China' (CNBC)
Trump Supreme Court nominee faces widest partisan divide in recent history (Politico)
"Success is not a good teacher, failure makes you humble." Shah Rukh Kha
"Sarah Palin is complaining that she was tricked and humiliated by comedian Sacha Baron Cohen. Yes - apparently 10 years ago he tricked Palin into thinking she was actually qualified to be vice president." Conan O'Brien
Subscribers may receive special messages with information about new features, special offers, or public policy messages from clients and advertisers.
Advertise With Us