President Donald Trump has been in office for four months, but Utahns have not warmed up to him at all.
A new Dan Jones & Associates survey finds 54% of Utahns say they disapprove of Trump's performance as president. 45% say they approve of his job, while 1% don't know.
The survey was conducted May 15 and 16 after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey. The survey was conducted during the time that it was revealed that Trump disclosed highly classified information to Russian diplomats during an Oval Office and the revelation that Trump allegedly asked Comey to back off his investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn.
Despite all of that, Utahns impressions of Trump haven't changed much at all. Trump won Utah during the 2016 election, but he only got 45% of the vote, which is the same as the most current poll. A UtahPolicy.com survey in March found just 47% of Utahns had a favorable opinion of Trump.
Not surprisingly, Republicans mostly approve of Trump's job performance while Democrats and independent voters are not impressed at all.
- 78% of Republicans say Trump is doing a good job, while 22% say he is not.
- A whopping 97% of Democrats disapprove of Trump's job performance.
- 68% of independent voters disapprove of Trump's job performance, while just 29% approve.
58% of those who told us they were "very active" members of the LDS Church approve of Trump's job performance, while 41% of that group disapprove.
Add Protestants to that group, who approve of Trump's job performance 55-45%.
Those are the only religious subsets that approve of Trump's performance during the first five months of his presidency.
- "Somewhat active" Mormons disapprove 57-40%.
- "Not active" members of the LDS Church disapprove 61-37%.
- Catholics really disapprove of Trump's job performance 72-28%.
The only age group that approves of Trump's job performance is those between 35 and 44 years old. All others disapprove of the way he's performing his job.
- Utahns 18-24 years old disapprove of Trump's job performance 61-29%
- Those 25-34 years old say they disapprove of Trump's job performance 62-37%
- 35-44-year-olds barely approve of Trump's performance 51-48%.
- Those between 45 and 54 years old are divided on Trump's job performance with 48% approving and 47% disapproving.
- Voters 55 to 64 years old disapprove 51-47%.
- Utahns over 65 years old disapprove 51-48%.
The Dan Jones & Associates survey was conducted May 15-16, 2017 among 603 registered voters with a margin of error 3.99%.