Under a heading titled "Considerations for New LG," the document lays out what Herbert should look for including:
- Biography, both general and specific
- Quality headshot, family photos
- Legal/financial background check - thoroughly vetted for compliance, record, domestic help, issues positions/votes, financial stability, political contributions, professional affiliations and alliances, community/professional organizations, public statements, social media profile, media relationships, GOP affiliations and relationships
- Professional obligations/entanglements/conflicts of interest
- Job description/expectations - clear understanding of duties, assignments, protocol
- Media training and preparation - media protocol, issue familiarity, rehearse statements
- Security briefing
- Emergency preparation
- Remain high level - characteristics, skills, do not discuss names
- Stay focused - don't be distracted by public speculation, politicos' recreational oddsmaking, Debakis (sp) rants, or special interest lobbying
- Limit media access to strategic, well orchestrated and controlled events; minimize risks and elements outside of our control
- Remind staff about confidentiality, no speculation
- LG find new job ASAP
"He always seemed like an odd duck to me in that administration," said Dabakis. "He had a lot broader vision on a lot of stuff, particularly education, than the rest of the administration. Of the two men (Herbert and Bell) he clearly should have been the Governor."
One other interesting tidbit from the briefing. Under the "To do" heading, it lists "Purchase additional Kleenex for staff."