- 19 days until ballots for the August primary are mailed to voters (7/25/2017)
- 40 days until the 2017 Utah primary election (8/15/2017)
- 124 days until the 2017 election (11/7/2017)
- 200 days until the opening day of the 2018 Utah Legislature (1/22/2018)
- 245 days until the final day of the 2018 Utah Legislature (3/8/2018)
- 488 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
- 1,217 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Today's political Highlights
- LaVarr Webb draws lessons from a pig pen to explain reaction to Trump’s tweets [Utah Policy].
- Sen. Mike Lee seeks to build consensus on healthcare reform, instead of throwing bombs [Deseret News). Pressure on McConnell to deliver ObamaCare repeal [The Hill].
- U.S., Korea respond to North Korea ICBM launch with ‘show of force’ [The Hill]. Missile launch marks a direct challenge to Trump administration [Washington Post]. Trump options on North Korea are few and risky [New York Times]. U.S. warns North Korea it’s ready to fight if provoked [Wall Street Journal].
- Uproar over Gordon Hayward dumping Utah for Boston [Deseret News, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1775 – Second Continental Congress drafts the Olive Branch Petition to King George III.
- 1814 – American defeat British and Canadians at Chippewa, Ontario.
- 1935 – FDR signs National Labor Relations Act.
- 1994 – Amazon.com is founded in Bellevue, Washington by Jeff Bezos.
- 2016 – FBI releases report saying Hillary Clinton was “extremely careless” in handling classified emails.