Good Monday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the last day of July, the 212th day of the year. There are 153 days remaining in 2017.
State leaders vow to crack down on the homeless problem in downtown Salt Lake City. Orrin Hatch breaks with President Trump on the issue of transgendered soldiers. The Senate fails again to pass an Obamacare repeal measure.
- 15 days until the 2017 Utah primary election (8/15/2017)
- 99 days until the 2017 election (11/7/2017)
- 175 days until the opening day of the 2018 Utah Legislature (1/22/2018)
- 220 days until the final day of the 2018 Utah Legislature (3/8/2018)
- 463 days until the 2018 midterm elections (11/6/2018)
- 1,191 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Today's political update
- A UtahPolicy.com poll shows Utahns losing confidence in Congress (Utah Policy).
- Publisher LaVarr Webb asks if it’s time to fire our congressional delegation (Utah Policy).
- In Beg to Differ podcast, Schott and Winder opine on current topics (Utah Policy).
- Utah Policy political insiders don’t believe the flood of negative ads will hurt John Curtis (Utah Policy).
- Outside spending reaches more than $300,000 in 3rd Congressional District race, most targeted to defeat John Curtis (Utah Policy).
- 3rd District congressional candidate John Curtis tells why he once ran for the Legislature as a Democrat (Deseret News).
- 3rd District congressional candidates ask for votes in Deseret News essays (John Curtis), (Tanner Ainge), (Chris Herrod).
- Russia retaliates to U.S. sanctions by kicking out 755 U.S. diplomats (Washington Post) (New York Times).
- After latest North Korean missile launch, U.S. displays military might over Korean Peninsula (Reuters).
- Venezuelan election charade could result in dictatorship (Washington Post).
On this day in history:
- 1498 – Christopher Columbus, on his third voyage discovers the island of Trinidad.
- 1912 – U.S. government prohibits movies and photos of boxing prize fights.
- 1930 – Lou Gehrig hits grand slam as Yankees beat Red Sox 14-13.
- 1966 – Alabamans burn Beatle products in response to John Lennon’s anti-Jesus remark.
- 2006 – Fidel Castro hands over power temporarily to brother Raul Castro.