Utah's Daily Policy Resource, Brought to you by Utah Policy
Now you can listen to our in-depth interviews with Utah newsmakers and our weekly news roundup, "Bernick and Schott on politics" on Spotify.
Situational Awareness - November 13, 2018
Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City.
We're expecting another vote total update today in the too close to call race between Rep. Mia Love and challenger Ben McAdams. Stay tuned.
Executive summary: Is gerrymandering to blame for Utah Democrats struggles winning seats on Capitol Hill? Democrats flip a Senate seat in Arizona. Republicans allege fraud in Florida's recounts.
7 days until the final election results are certified by the county clerks (11/20/2018)
13 days until federal and multi-county races are certified by the State Board of Canvassers (11/26/2018)
76 days until the first day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (1/28/2019)
122 days until the final day of the 2019 Utah Legislature (3/14/2019)
203 days until the municipal election filing period opens (6/3/2019)
207 days until the municipal election filing period ends (6/7/2019)
274 days to the 2019 Utah primary elections (8/13/2019)
358 days to the 2019 municipal elections (11/5/2019)
448 days to the 2020 Iowa Caucuses (2/3/2020)
722 days until the 2020 presidential election (11/3/2020)
Today At Utah PolicyIs gerrymandering to blame for the small number of Utah Democrats on Capitol Hill? Maybe not
At first glance, it looks like gerrymandering really hit Utah Democrats hard on Tuesday. But that may not be the whole story....
New legislative leadership says they will keep the status quo on media access
Sometimes UtahPolicy.com writes a story for legislative insiders and this is one of those times....
CYBER24 Episode 35: Keys to safely dispose of old technology
In our last episode, I talked about some new tech at our house and the chain reaction of resetting computers, reinstalling operating systems, updating passwords and other security measures....
Podcast: Wrapping up the 2018 midterms with the 'Political Junkie' Ken Rudin
Ken Rudin, the host of the Political Junkie podcast, joins us to wrap up what happened in the 2018 midterm elections....
Trump & Republicans have suburban work to do in 2020
While the 2018 election results reflected a sharply divided country, it became clearer just where the divisions are: urban vs. rural. And, for the 2020 presidential election, the emerging voting patterns appear to favor a Democratic candidate....
'Political Insiders' expect Ben McAdams to hold on and beat Mia Love
Democrat Ben McAdams has a 4,900 vote lead over Republican incumbent Mia Love in Utah's 4th Congressional District race with thousands of votes still left to count. Our "Political Insiders" expect McAdams to hang on to his lead and win the hotly contested race....
Utah Senate Democrats announce 2019-20 leadership team
Senator Karen Mayne (D West Valley) has been elected to serve as Senate Minority Leader....
OTHER UTAH HEADLINES
Editorial: Global hunger is no match for USU researchers
Reno-Tahoe pulls out of competition for Winter Olympics, leaving Salt Lake and Denver
How much are Utah's federal lands worth? State going to try to find out
Utah's GOP House members preparing for shift from majority to minority
Salt Lake Tribune
Average Utah payday loan interest rate rises to nearly 528% annually - double what Mafia loan sharks charged in the 1960s
Is the race between Mia Love and Ben McAdams headed for a recount? Utah law sets a high bar for contested elections.
- The massive Camp Fire is now the deadliest wildfire in California History. At least 44 people have died so far - https://cnn.it/2FfdNAC
- The gains for Democrats continue to grow following last week's elections. Kyrsten Sinema was declared the winner in Arizona's Senate race. She is the first woman ever elected to the Senate from Arizona, and the first Democrat to win a Senate contest in that state since 1988 - http://bit.ly/2Fl71te
- Republican Rick Scott accused his opponent, Bill Nelson, of committing fraud in their closely contested U.S. Senate race in Florida - https://politi.co/2Fj5Ryn
- President Trump weighed in on the Florida recounts on Monday, calling for officials to end the account and declare Republicans Bill Nelson and Ron DeSantis the winners in the U.S Senate and gubernatorial races. He also claimed, without evidence, that the integrity of the election had been compromised - https://abcn.ws/2FfbBsS
- Half of the House members who wrote the Republican tax cut bill are out of office. Of the 24 who wrote the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, four lost their re-election bids on Tuesday, three ran for other offices, while five others left mid-term or decided to retire - https://yhoo.it/2Fjbblb
- Campaigns and PACs spent at least $3.2 million at Trump-owned properties during the midterm election cycle - https://cnn.it/2FhX53C
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi warns Democrats against ousting her from leadership following what turned out to be a historic election for women - https://politi.co/2FhmYAM
- Rep. Maxine Waters, who will be chair of the House Financial Services Committee next year, plans to take on Wells Fargo and Deutsche Bank - https://lat.ms/2FtdzGq
- Minnesota Republican Jason Lewis blames the late Sen. John McCain for Republicans losing the House on Tuesday. He says McCain's vote against repealing the Affordable Care Act allowed Democrats to claim the GOP wanted to remove protections for those with pre-existing conditions, which was a potent political message in the 2018 midterms - https://on.wsj.com/2FkE9RX
- Only 21% of the newly elected Democrats to the House say they are ready to impeach President Trump - https://wapo.st/2Fl9K5N
- Maine is using ranked choice voting to determine the winner in one congressional race this year. The four-way race won't be resolved until later this week - http://bit.ly/2FhlXZu
- New Jersey Republican Seth Grossman says he could have won his race for Congress, but he was distracted defending himself from charges he is a racist - http://bit.ly/2FwAT6b
- President Trump is reportedly preparing to remove Kirstjen Nielsen as Homeland Security secretary - https://wapo.st/2Fj6S9F
- President Trump doesn't want to give any more federal relief money for recovery efforts from last year's hurricane that devastated the island. He claimed, without any evidence, that the island is using the money to pay off debt - http://bit.ly/2FjJgBE
- It begins. West Virginia State Senator Richard Ojeda says he's running for president in 2020 as a Democrat. He claims the party has gotten away from his roots and plans to campaign on the issue that President Trump is a populist fraud - http://bit.ly/2Fl9Zhd
- French authorities requested that President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin not hold any meetings during the World War I commemorations in Paris over the weekend - https://thebea.st/2FhpCWU
- President Trump is blaming Monday's big drop in the markets on "Presidential harassment" by the Democrats - http://bit.ly/2FlwORW
- Conservative author, and conspiracy theorist, Jerome Corsi says he expects to be indicted by special counsel Robert Mueller for allegedly lying to investigators - https://wapo.st/2FkFoR
- Fox News personality Kat Timpf says she was forced to leave a bar in Brooklyn over the weekend after a woman became enraged upon learning she worked in conservative media - http://bit.ly/2FmeKHD
- Amazon has reportedly picked Northern Virginia and New York City as the locations for its second and third headquarters - https://cnn.it/2Fj79td
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- 1927 - The Holland Tunnel opened under the Hudson River, linking New York City and New Jersey.
- 1933 - The first recorded "sit-down" strike in the United States was staged by workers at the Hormel Packing Co. in Minnesota.
- 1956 - The Supreme Court declares Alabama laws requiring segregated buses illegal, ending the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- 1967 - Carl Stokes became the first black mayor in the U.S. when he was elected in Cleveland.
- 1982 - The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
Policy NewsIvory Homes CEO named to national partnership addressing housing affordability
Ivory Homes announced that Clark Ivory, CEO, has joined the HIVE Action Partnership....
Fifth annual Utah Global Forum attracts local business leaders and international partners
Presented by Gov. Gary R. Herbert, the annual Utah Global Forum on Nov. 8, 2018, convened national experts, diplomats from Utah's largest international trade markets and more than 400 Utah business leaders to discuss the opportunities and challenges for Utah to increase its ...
42nd annual Women & Business Conference and ATHENA Awards luncheon
The Salt Lake Chamber, Utah's largest and longest-serving statewide business association, will honor Cindy Crane, CEO of Rocky Mountain Power, as the 2018 ATHENA Leadership Award recipient at this year's Women & Business Conference and ATHENA Awards Luncheon on November ...
More National Headlines
Conflicting reports of a Facebook executive's firing fan the flames of an anti-conservative debate in Silicon Valley (CNBC)
Fox News Twitter account dark for days due to Tucker Carlson home threats (The Hill)
Florida county unable to meet recount deadline (CNN)
Bay County allowed voters to cast ballots online despite law, Gov. Scott's orders (Politico)
Confessed Parkland High School shooter Nikolas Cruz registered to vote from jail (NBC News)
Defeated GOP congressman blames McCain for House flipping (CNN)
Poll: 56% of Democrats Don't Want Pelosi to Be House Speaker (FOX News)
Former Clinton adviser says Hillary will run in 2020 (Politico)
Here's why Hillary Clinton 4.0 is a terrible idea (CNN)
Forget Pelosi. Challenge Hoyer. (Politico)
Vatican Bars U.S. Bishops' Action on Sex Abuse (Wall Street Journal)
"To act coolly, intelligently and prudently in perilous circumstances is the test of a man - and also a nation." Adlai E. Stevenson
"According to The New York Times, President Trump has two official iPhones: one that is used for calls and one that is used for Twitter and other apps. He also has an android that he uses mainly as his vice president." - SETH MEYERS
Subscribers may receive special messages with information about new features, special offers, or public policy messages from clients and advertisers.
Advertise With Us