Today's Featured Articles:
Utah's GOP members of Congress hail Mueller report summary saying Trump did not collude with Russians
Good morning from Salt Lake City and TGIF!
Here's what is driving the day:
- Derek Brown is running for Utah GOP Chairman.
- Utah could host a presidential debate (we first told you efforts were underway back in February).
Political bracket face-off rolls on
The final first-round matchups in our 2019 political bracket are live. You can vote on our website, Twitter or Facebook. Check out the brackets here.
Friday political trivia!
Reader Michael Roach sends along today's question:
Which native Utahn is buried in the wall of the Kremlin and was tried (but acquitted) for blowing up the Governor of Idaho?
If Mike Mower can't answer today's question, it means Mr. Roach wins a $25 Amazon gift card.
The UtahPolicy.com daily newsletter gets you up to speed on the top local and national news about politics and public policy. Our news is curated by Managing Editor Bryan Schott, along with help from Golden Webb. ((Click here to subscribe))
Employment in Utah grew by 2.8 percent over the last year. Unemployment remains below national average
The Colorado River is a reliable source of water for Utah, says the Utah Division of Water Resources
- College admission scandal 'almost predictable,' says UVU President Astrid Tuminez
- Salt Lake City uses new sales tax money to launch program to pair, house 50 homeless roommates
- Jackie Biskupski honors Salt Lake's women leaders, hopes awards continue under next mayor
- Local leaders reaffirm support for Utah Compact on immigration
- Utah gun enthusiast granted temporary stay of bump stock ban
Salt Lake Tribune
- Lake Powell’s mercury contamination worse in side canyons, study shows
- Utah wants to host a 2020 presidential debate, and taxpayers have already chipped in $2.5M to help make it happen
- Officials reaffirm family-friendly Utah Compact on immigration. LDS Church still backs it but again doesn’t sign it.
- Utah biotech company's stock drops after SEC actions revealed (Deseret News)
- NCAA tournament brings in millions to Salt Lake City's economy (Deseret News)
- Utah County in 'economic driver's seat' for the state (Daily Herald)
- Developer says ‘it’s time’ for a Snyderville Basin retail hub east of U.S. 40 (Park Record)
- Lawmakers boosted tech economy and embraced new modes in '19 session (Deseret News)
- A Cloud Over Trump’s Presidency Is Lifted (New York Times)
- Don’t expect any media mea culpas for the ‘collusion’ delusion (New York Post)
- It's official: Russiagate is this generation's WMD (Matt Taibbi)
- How to end our national nightmare — probe Hillary Clinton again (New York Post)
- After Mueller’s Exoneration of Trump, Full Disclosure (National Review)
- Barr’s Letter Contains Unambiguously Good News for the U.S. (National Review)
- CNN says Trump 'exonerated', MSNBC says Trump 'vindicated' (The Blaze)
- Booker wrestles with primary field lurching left (Politico)
- The B-Team: are Beto, Biden and Bernie the best Democrats can offer? (Guardian)
- Jared, Ivanka influence on Trump compared to RFK and JFK, attacks steel duo (Washington Examiner)
- Fed pick Stephen Moore says he'll be independent despite pushing Trump policies (Washington Examiner)
Muller report coming soon? Washington is gripped by speculation that special counsel Robert Mueller could be delivering his final report on Russian interference in the 2016 election as soon as today - http://bit.ly/2FuXb65
- Don't expect a harsh condemnation of President Donald Trump in the report if they have not been charged with crimes - https://abcn.ws/2FteB32
- Here's how Mueller's team kept details about the investigation from leaking to the media - https://reut.rs/2FtX62z
A shift in Israel policy. President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday "it is time" for the US to "fully recognize Israel's sovereignty" over the disputed Golan Heights. The tweet upends longstanding US policy on the territory - https://nyti.ms/2FvP5dz
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview it is "certainly" possible President Trump was sent by God to defend Israel, comparing Trump to Queen Esther - http://bit.ly/2FteKDC
Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump use private accounts to conduct White House business. The two White House advisers use private email accounts and the WhatsApp messenger for official business - https://nyti.ms/2Fs7ZBN
Fox News viewers have a vastly different view of President Trump. A survey by a Democratic polling firm found Republicans who watch Fox News have radically different beliefs from Republicans who don't watch the channel. For example, 78% of Fox News viewers say President Trump is the most successful president in history, while only 49% of Republicans who don't watch Fox News agree - http://bit.ly/2Fty6IP
Republicans say Trump will likely lose the popular vote in 2020, but he still has an Electoral College advantage. Get ready for a possible repeat of 2016, where Trump loses the overall vote, but still returns to the White House because of an Electoral College win - https://washex.am/2FsMdxY
Mail bomber pleads guilty. Cesar Sayoc, the man who mailed bombs to several Democratic politicians and media organizations that were critical of President Trump plead guilty in Federal Court on Thursday - https://wapo.st/2FsK05E
Troops on the border is an "unacceptable risk." The Marine Corps commandant warns deploying troops to the U.S.-Mexico border would harm combat readiness - https://lat.ms/2Ft5TBH
Mississippi abortion law.Mississippi's governor has signed a new abortion restriction that bans abortion before some women would know they're pregnant - https://wapo.st/2FuT5uJ
Trump has shifted campaign money to his businesses. Forbes reports President Trump has charged his own re-election campaign $1.3 million for rent, food, lodging and other expenses since taking office - http://bit.ly/2FvRxRj
Guns are killing school-age children at "epidemic" rates. Guns killed more U.S. school children in 2017 than police officers and active-duty military members - http://bit.ly/2FuAKhm
Brexit delay. The European Union has agreed to a two-week delay to the Brexit process for Britain in a bid to avoid a chaotic withdrawal - https://cnn.it/2FthRv9
Unprecedented flooding this spring. Experts say 25 states are at an elevated risk of flooding until May - https://nyti.ms/2FvQLnn
Boring but important. Mortgage rates are dropping quickly amid fears of a global economic slowdown - https://wapo.st/2FsLr42
Instagram is the new home of hatred on the internet. The photo-sharing social network is teeming with conspiracy theories, violent extremist memes and misinformation - http://bit.ly/2FsVmqd
Change your Facebook password. The social media giant says it mishandled passwords for hundreds of millions of users, storing those passwords in plain text in an internal database that could be accessed by staffers - https://cnn.it/2FthNeT