Today's Featured Articles:
Good morning from Salt Lake City and TGIF!
Welcome to Utah's must-read daily political news rundown. Please encourage your friends and colleagues to sign up for our emails.
Here's what is driving the day:
- Anderson set to challenge McAdams in 2020.
- Tax reform task force prepares to get down to work.
- May resigns as PM.
- Trump and Pelosi trade insults.
Former Gov. Jon Huntsman is rumored to be considering a 2020 campaign seeking to return to that office. Utah is one of five states never to have a governor serve non-consecutive terms. Can you name the other four?
Every reader who sends in the correct answer will be entered into a drawing to receive one of our limited-edition UtahPolicy.com laptop stickers.
The UtahPolicy.com daily newsletter gets you up to speed on the top local and national news about politics and public policy. Our news is curated by Managing Editor Bryan Schott, along with help from Golden Webb. ((Click here to subscribe))
Romney, Lee, Braun, Toomey introduce legislation to require Congress to budget for natural disasters
Governor appoints members to the Utah State Board of Education, Utah Board of Regents, and UTech Board of Trustees
- A. Scott Anderson: New UTA leadership provides opportunity for needed Utah transportation revolution
- Jay Evensen: When you click 'agree,' you probably don't know what that means
- Editorial: Utah homelessness solution should be seen as a process, not an event
- Lawsuit against Utah medical marijuana law moved to federal court
- Gov. Gary Herbert appoints/reappoints State School Board members, regents, tech college trustees
- Tax reform can get done in special session, but must include tax cut, Utah governor says
- Utah Sen. Mike Lee says impeaching Trump would be 'huge mistake' for Democrats
Salt Lake Tribune
- Utah governor questions the state’s ranking as dead last in per-pupil funding. But the figure he’s using is for a different year.
- ‘They oughta be ashamed.’ Gov. Gary Herbert chides Congress for inaction on pot restrictions
- Ski bus ridership is up 48% since UTA increased canyon runs by ending direct service from downtown Salt Lake City
- Utah County ranks No. 4 nationally for job creation, but its average wages are low (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Census data: Utah remains No. 1 for home growth (Deseret News)
- Utah now ranks No. 1 in nation for building new housing, but needs even more of it to help lower high prices (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Ski tourism in Utah hit an all-time high this season (Deseret News)
- Second annual Wasatch Back Economic Summit to highlight common problems, solutions in the region (Park Record)
- Ogden's MarketStar, already big, poised for new growth after Wasatch Group deal (Standard-Examiner)
- Will 'whiteshift' save America from ethnic strife? (Washington Examiner)
- Judge Orders Antifa Activist to Pay $22,000 in Legal Fees to Conservative Judicial Watch (CNS News)
- Lawmaker Who Helped Write Obamacare: ‘What We Have Now Is Not Working’ (Free Beacon)
- CNN Continues Its Death Spiral As Ratings Collapse In Epic Fashion (RedState)
- Did Kamala Harris flip-flop on independent probes of police shootings? (PolitiFact)
- Blue-state California now harassing journalists (CALmatters)
- America’s Largest Cities Are Shrinking (Bloomberg)
- Pete Buttigieg says Joe Biden hasn't already 'earned' the Democratic nomination (The Week)
- Democrat longshots 'getting creative' in battle for final debate stage podium (Washington Times)
- Young people blame climate change for their small 401(k) balances (MarketWatch)
- Trump moves to escalate investigation of intel agencies (Associated Press)
“You guys, after 12 years, today [May 17th] was the final episode of ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ But don’t worry, it was also the beginning of a brand-new comedy: Bill de Blasio’s presidential campaign.” — JIMMY FALLON
Breaking overnight. British Prime Minister Theresa May announced she would resign on June 7 - https://aol.it/2QmkjY4
Trump gives Barr the keys. President Donald Trump gave Attorney General William Barr "full and complete authority" to declassify government secrets in an investigation into how the probe into the Russian interference in the 2016 election began - https://wapo.st/2QieyLh
Mueller wants to testify in private. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler said Thursday night that special counsel Robert Mueller wants to testify in private about his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election - http://bit.ly/2Qmjgrk
Trump, Pelosi trade insults. Trump called Speaker Nancy Pelosi "Crazy Nancy" while Pelosi said Trump's family and White House aides should "stage an intervention for the good of the country" - https://nyti.ms/2wjVrXO
- President Trump shared a video of Speaker Nancy Pelosi on social media that had been slowed down to make her look like she was impaired - https://wapo.st/2wjW8Ao
- Democratic 2020 hopeful Pete Buttigieg took a shot at Trump's claim of bone spurs to avoid serving in Vietnam, calling it a fake disability - http://bit.ly/2wiIVYC
Very stable genius. President Trump called on several White House staffers during a press availability to vouch for his demeanor and to back up his claim that he did not have a temper tantrum when he walked out of a meeting with Democratic leaders earlier this week - http://bit.ly/2QkNhHY
Trump vs. Congress. Wells Fargo and TD Bank have already turned over Trump-related financial documents to Congress - https://nbcnews.to/2Qo9S6r
The Trump administration may sidestep Congress on to sell arms to Saudi Arabia. Republican and Democratic members of Congress are warning the president not to invoke emergency powers to complete a controversial arms sale to Saudi Arabia and other countries - https://wapo.st/2Qj83I0
Judge questions lawsuit to stop border wall. A federal judge expressed doubt about a lawsuit from House Democrats to block construction of President Trump's border wall after a Justice Department Attorney argued Congress cannot sue to enforce its constitutional power of the purse - https://wapo.st/2wj3Z1a
$16 billion bailout. President Trump announced a $16 billion aid package for farmers hurt by his trade war with China - https://nyti.ms/2Ql0Abh
Friday's bizarre headline. President Trump is trying to steer the deal to build the border wall to a North Dakota firm whose top executive is a GOP donor and a frequent guest on Fox News - https://wapo.st/2Qk56XH
Trump vs. Tillerson. President Trump declared Rex Tillerson, who he hired as Secretary of State, "dumb as a rock" and "totally ill-prepared and ill-equipped for the job" after Tillerson told members of Congress that Russian President Vladimir Putin had outfoxed Trump - https://yhoo.it/2Ql1O6n
Senate approves massive aid package. The Senate passed a multi-billion disaster aid bill after making a deal with President Trump - https://politi.co/2wi93TK
For your radar. The FBI says they've seen a significant rise in white supremacist domestic terrorism - https://cnn.it/2QkpLuM
There is so much garbage on Facebook. The social media platform took down more than 3 billion fake accounts from October to March, which is double the number from the previous six months - http://bit.ly/2wjWWFq
- Twitter banned the Krassenstein brothers, prominent anti-Trump advocates, for operating fake accounts and purchasing false interactions - http://bit.ly/2QoNjyK
Measles travel ban. Health officials in five states may block people believed to be infected with measles from boarding airplanes - https://wapo.st/2wh5RaC