Today's Featured Articles:
Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City
Welcome to Utah's must-read daily political news rundown. Please encourage your friends and colleagues to sign up for our emails.
- The Supreme Court will release opinions in one or more cases at 8:00 a.m.
- Salt Lake City mayoral candidates will debate at 6:30 pm at the Salt Lake City library.
- The first of two Democratic presidential primary debates takes place at 7 p.m. The debate will be televised by NBC or streamed online on multiple platforms.
Here are the stories we're following today:
- A proposed bill to ban nearly all abortions in Utah goes beyond what the LDS Church says on the issue.
- The Salt Lake County Council calls on the legislature to ban conversion therapy.
- Mueller agrees to testify before Congress.
The UtahPolicy.com daily newsletter gets you up to speed on the top local and national news about politics and public policy. Our news is curated by Managing Editor Bryan Schott, along with help from Golden Webb. ((Click here to subscribe))
Guest opinion: The new northbound train: Weber-Davis collaboration is express route to economic growth
Utah student’s national second place financial literacy essay focuses on ethical investing for refugee aid
Utah Division of Real Estate announces statewide campaign to warn public of real estate email scam that steals millions in loan proceeds via wire fraud”
- Editorial: America's best days are still ahead
- UTA hires new executive director from Silicon Valley
- Utah County latest body to adopt anti-abortion stance amid national Roe v. Wade pressure
- As border security debate rages, Utahns look to take action close to home
- Utahns backing Joe Biden for president say he's 'moderate enough' for state's voters
- Wildfire smoke poses increasing health threat in Utah, experts say
- Salt Lake County urges Utah Legislature to pass conversion therapy ban
Salt Lake Tribune
- Unintended pregnancies are declining nationally, hovering at about one-in-five in Utah
- Utah is America’s 4th most patriotic state, study says. But if more Utahns would vote, it easily might be No. 1.
- Salt Lake City drivers drop 19 spots in new safety rankings, fall to No. 67
- Imagine a system that allows cars, roads and signals all to ‘talk’ to one another to prevent wrecks. UDOT signs $50M deal to help develop it.
- Salt Lake County Council calls on the state Legislature to pass a ban on so-called conversion therapy practices
- Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski issues her first budget veto in a fight with the City Council over how to spend on affordable housing
- Utah County Commission adopts anti-abortion resolution in unanimous vote
- For job seekers, report says Utah offers among the best chances in the nation (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Utah resort towns face major challenges due to growing popularity (Deseret News)
- Record low unemployment continues in Utah at 2.9 percent (Deseret News)
- Op-ed: IMO 2020 will fuel Utah’s economy (Deseret News)
- Reps in Weber, Davis counties bullish after creating new group to spur growth (Standard-Examiner)
- A mental health professional diagnoses cable news anchors (Spectator)
- Tracing the Origins of Congressional Democrats’ ‘Obstruction’ Strategy (Epoch Times)
- Chick-fil-A Named America’s Favorite Restaurant Chain — Again (Forbes)
- Two-thirds of American employees regret their college degrees (CBS News)
- Robots to take 20 mn jobs, worsening inequality: study (AFP)
- CNN cuts to ad break after Trump sex assault accuser E Jean Carroll calls rape ‘sexy’ (The Sun)
- Democratic bigwigs fear debates will devolve into horror show (Politico)
- Biden earned up to $200,000 for paid speeches after leaving office: report (The Hill)
- Joe Biden is contractually obligated to receive angel hair pomodoro at every paid speech (The Week)
- Warren in the spotlight as Democrats gather for 1st debate (Associated Press)
- Elizabeth Warren jumps out to a big lead in MoveOn poll (NBC News)
“President Trump was in Orlando, Florida, to officially relaunch the presidential campaign he has never stopped. . . . You know, for all his bad environmental policies, Trump is very committed to recycling his garbage.” Stephen Colbert
"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand." Vince Lombardi
Breaking while you were sleeping. The U.S. and North Korea are working behind the scenes to set up a third summit between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un - https://on.wsj.com/2Ye3iCF
The day Democrats have been waiting for. The first of two presidential primary debates take place tonight in Miami. Ten Democratic presidential hopefuls take the stage this evening, including Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker and Amy Klobuchar - https://cnn.it/31RQCne
Get your popcorn. Special counsel Robert Mueller will testify to both the House Intelligence and House Judiciary Committee on July 17. Mueller agreed to testify publicly after Democrats issued a subpoena to compel him to appear - https://politi.co/2YiecHC
- The House passed a $4.5 billion package for the border which includes money for humanitarian aid as well as more border security - https://politi.co/31VZiJe
- A heartbreaking photo of a father and daughter who drowned while crossing the Rio Grande was published by a Mexican newspaper - https://cnn.it/31RQu7e
- About 100 children were returned to a facility in Texas that had been emptied after reports of neglect and horrific conditions - https://nyti.ms/2Y9oU37
- Acting Customs and Border Protection head John Sanders is stepping down from his post following reports of children being held in squalor - https://nbcnews.to/2YfOWBN
- Mark Morgan, an immigration hardliner and former Fox News contributor will take over as head of Customs and Border Protection - https://nyti.ms/31Vq8Bm
The investigations. A Federal judge gave Democrats the green light on Tuesday to start digging through President Trump's finances, ruling their lawsuit alleging Trump violated the Emoluments Clause with his private businesses - http://bit.ly/31X2eFG
Trade. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin says the U.S. is "about 90% of the way" to a trade deal with China - https://cnb.cx/2YfO4gv
Yikes. Federal prosecutors say Republican Congressman Duncan Hunter used campaign funds to finance extramarital affairs with five women, including lobbyists and congressional staffers. Hunter has been accused of spending almost $250,000 of campaign funds on personal expenses - https://nyti.ms/2Yn29Jj
Uh oh. The National Security Agency once again collected records about U.S. calls and text messages it wasn't authorized to obtain. It's the second such incident - https://on.wsj.com/2YenRPB
- Stephanie Grisham, Melania Trump's communications director, has been named the next White House press secretary - https://nyti.ms/2YhZosG
- President Trump is reportedly souring on chief of staff Mick Mulvaney - https://politi.co/2YdBBKb
Marijuana. Illinois became the 11th state to legalize recreational marijuana - http://bit.ly/2YgslVE
Vaping ban. San Fransico became the first city to ban the sale of e-cigarettes - https://cnn.it/31X1DUc
For your radar. The United Nations says India will overtake China as the most populous country in the world in less than a decade - https://cnn.it/31XQ9Qi