Today's Featured Articles:
Good Friday morning from Salt Lake City. Happy holiday weekend!
Note: Utah Policy will not publish on Monday, the Presidents Day holiday. We’ll be back in your inbox on Tuesday.
- A. Scott Anderson: Utah trivia buff? Here's a book you'll like
- Jay Evensen: Ho hum, our debts just keep piling up
- Op-ed: Utah's 911 bill is an important confirmation of the value of life
- Bill to block Utahns from changing sex on birth certificates dropped
- Lawmaker seeks to add 4 psychiatry residencies at University of Utah medical school
- House OKs resolution saying Utah's gun laws are enough
- House committee to consider bill allowing sexual violence protective order requests
- Utah Senate panel advances radioactive waste bill, despite Gov. Gary Herbert's 'discomfort'
- Gov. Gary Herbert expects plan adding sales taxes to services to pass this session — but what services?
- Fix for widespread violations of Utah school fees laws? Complying with with 1994 injunction, lawmaker says
- Trump plan to declare national emergency at border a 'mistake,' Utah Rep. Chris Stewart says
- Utah lawmaker says he won't try to repeal controversial SB54
- How west-side frustrations in Salt Lake County have led to a county 'divorce' bill
Salt Lake Tribune
- Joseph Q. Jarvis: Time to move beyond Prop 3 and Obamacare
- Utah’s biggest health care network announces its change of policy on physicians recommending medical cannabis to patients
- Orrin Hatch foundation seeks $2 million of taxpayer money for a center in his honor
- Utah Republican lawmakers abandon dueling bills on changing the gender on a person’s government documents
- To rekindle love affair with voting, lawmakers seek to make Valentine’s Day also Utah Women’s Voter Registration Day
- Oops. Because UDOT used outdated Census data, some cities received too much in road funds and others too little
- ‘We are part of her legacy’: Utah chooses sculptor to create a Martha Hughes Cannon statue for the U.S. Capitol
- ‘The problem is immediate and the solution is urgent’: Republican Utah lawmakers pitched on the need for sales tax reform in closed-door meetings
- Bill that could pave the way for EnergySolutions to accept depleted uranium advances
- Small business credit startup Nav scoops $44 million in fresh funding (Deseret News)
- Committee blocks a proposed third Utah tax break for Swiss rail car manufacturer (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Millcreek and Salt Lake City restart negotiations over Brickyard Plaza as threatened legislation is put on hold (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal Is a Home Run—for Mitch McConnell (Daily Beast)
- Lawsuit means Chicago Obama center plan no sure thing; judge says he will rule on legal challenge in coming days (Chicago Tribune)
- You may be disappointed by the Mueller report (NBC News)
- Harris fact-checked over ‘nonsensical’ claim Trump hiked taxes on middle class (FOX News)
- Schumer slams ‘stunt’ Green New Deal vote as moderates fret (Politico)
- Sen. Joe Manchin slams Green New Deal: It’s not a deal, ‘it’s a dream’ (FOX News)
- Who is William Barr? 5 things to know about the attorney general (FOX News)
- Lauren Sanchez's Brother Speaks Out About Involvement in Jeff Bezos Affair Leaking (Hollywood Reporter)
- Amazon cancels plans to open headquarters in New York, citing opposition from local politicians (New York Daily News)
- The fight over Amazon is the fight for the future of the Democratic Party (CNN)
- Amazon to pay $0 in federal income taxes: report (The Hill)
Congress passes budget bill; Trump will declare emergency. White House says Trump will build a border wall, even without much funding in the budget deal (Washington Post).
Biden almost certain to enter 2020 race. Former VP Joe Biden is building support among grassroots activists and seeking contributions (The Hill).
Amazon dumps New York City after politicians and unions say it’s not welcome. Deal would have created 25,000 jobs, but at a cost of $3 billion in government incentives (New York Times).
NASA wants to go to the moon ‘as fast as possible. Other countries like China and India are racing there, too. Like the Cold War space race, the new lunar activity is fueled by national pride and a quest for scientific discovery (Washington Post).
Make El Chapo pay for the border wall. Sen. Ted Cruz writes an op-ed suggesting the criminal assets of the convicted drug kingpin and other drug lords should be confiscated and used to secure the border (Washington Post).
Justice Department discussed removing Trump from office. Andrew McCabe the firmer deputy FBT director, said top officials were alarmed by the firing of James Comey and discussed whether to recruit cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment (New York Times).
Senate confirms Trump nominee William Barr as next attorney general. The Senate approved Barr’s nomination in a 54-45 vote, with three Democrats joining nearly every Republican in support. (Politico).
California cancels high speed rail and Trump demands that $3.5 billion in federal funding be returned. Gov. Gavin Newsome concedes that the full route has been rendered unfeasible by spiraling costs and logistical challenges (Politico).