Good Wednesday morning from Salt Lake City. Today is the 230th day of the year. There are 136 days left in 2016.
Utahns approve of Mike Pence as Donald Trump’s VP. Hillary Clinton’s campaign says they want to turn Utah blue in 2016. Trump shakes up his campaign.
- 83 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
- 159 days until the first day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (1/23/2017)
- 204 days until the final day of the 2017 Utah Legislature – (3/9/2017)
Ten talking points for Wednesday:
- Utahns approve of Donald Trump picking Mike Pence as his running mate [Utah Policy].
- Hillary Clinton‘s campaign says they are pushing to flip Utah from red to blue in November [Bloomberg].
- Donald Trump shakes up his campaign, tapping pollster Kellyanne Conway as his new campaign manager and Breitbart News Chairman Stephen Bannon as the CEO [Politico].
- Former Fox News head Roger Ailes is helping Donald Trump with his debate prep [New York Times].
- Donald Trump‘s campaign says they will finally begin airing television ads with a purchase in five states [CNN].
- Salt Lake County officials give a solid “no” vote on offering $240 million in tax incentives to entice a Facebook data center to West Jordan [Tribune, Deseret News].
- The Utah Wildlife Board sends a letter to Interior Secretary Sally Jewell voicing their opposition to possibly designating Bears Ears a national monument [Deseret News].
- The State Auditor’s office dings the Emery County Treasurer for falling for a “spear phishing” scam that cost the county $38,700 in public money [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune].
- The Utah Transit Authority is close to naming a new leader. It’s been a hear since former President and CEO Michael Allegra retired [Tribune].
- Hackers apparently hit another hacking group that is allegedly part of the NSA. The group plans to auction off some elite cyberweapon tools online [ABC News].
On this day in history:
- 1969 – Hurricane Camille slammed into the Gulf Coast, killing 248 people.
- 1987 – Rudolf Hess, the last member of Adolf Hitler’s inner circle, died at Spandau Prison in West Berlin at 93, apparently a suicide. He had been the only inmate at Spandau for 21 years.
- 1998 – President Bill Clinton said he had a relationship with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky that was “not appropriate.”