Good Tuesday morning from Salt Lake City. There are 72 days left in 2015.
Trump and Carson lead the GOP field. Rubio visits Utah. Biden moves closer to launching a presidential campaign.
- 14 days to the 2015 election – (11/3/2015)
- 90 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) – (1/18/2016)
- 97 days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature – (1/25/2016)
- 98 days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary – (1/26/2016)
- 142 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature – (3/10/2016)
- 252 days to the 2016 Utah primary election – (6/28/2016)
- 385 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
Tuesday’s top-10 headlines:
- A new national poll has Donald Trump and Ben Carson atop the GOP field while Carly Fiorina has dropped 11 points in the last month [CNN].
- Presidential candidate Marco Rubio visits Utah for a fundraiser and a public rally [Deseret News, Tribune, 2 News, ABC 4, Fox 13].
- Sources say Vice President Joe Biden is inching closer to launching a bid for the White House [Fox News].
- Jim Webb may drop out of the Democratic presidential race to launch an independent bid [The Hill].
- Which presidential candidates are Utahns donating to? [Fox 13]
- The relocation of the state prison is not much of a factor in the Salt Lake City mayoral contest according to a new poll [Utah Policy].
- The Utah Transit Authority may start requiring board members to get approval before any international travel [Tribune].
- Utah school districts are prohibited from asking teachers if they carry a concealed weapon [KSL].
- The owner of a dog shot by a Salt Lake City police officer has filed a $2 million lawsuit against the city [Tribune, Deseret News, 2 News].
- Here’s the first full-length trailer for the new Star Wars film, and it’s amazing! [YouTube]
On this day in history:
- 1803 – The U.S. Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase.
- 1818 – The United States and Britain established the 49th parallel as the official boundary between the U.S. and Canada.
- 1918 – Germany accepted U.S. President Woodrow Wilson’s terms to end World War I.
- 1947 – The U.S. House of Representatives Un-American Activities Committee opened public hearings into alleged communist influence in Hollywood.
- 2011 – Deposed Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi was killed as he tried to escape from his hometown as revolutionary troops closed in on him.