Good Monday morning from Salt Lake City. There are 66 days left in 2015.
A massive earthquake hits South Asia. Ben Carson calls for an end to abortion. Love named to the panel investigating Planned Parenthood.
- 8 days to the 2015 election – (11/3/2015)
- 84 days to the 2016 Iowa Caucus (tentative) – (1/18/2016)
- 91 days to the opening day of the 2016 Utah Legislature – (1/25/2016)
- 92 days to the 2016 New Hampshire Primary – (1/26/2016)
- 137 days to the final day of the 2016 Utah Legislature – (3/10/2016)
- 247 days to the 2016 Utah primary election – (6/28/2016)
- 379 days until the 2016 presidential election – (11/8/2016)
Monday’s top-10 headlines:
- A massive earthquake rocks South Asia near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border [CNN].
- The U.S. House of Representatives is set to elect a new Speaker while a the deadline for raising the debt limit looms this week [The Hill].
- Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson says all abortion should be outlawed and compared the procedure to slavery [Washington Post].
- The Obama administration calls for a limit on standardized testing in schools [New York Times].
- Hillary Clinton is raising the most money in Utah, mostly because a crowded GOP field is splitting donations from the Beehive State [Tribune].
- Rep. Mia Love is named to a Congressional panel that will investigate claims that Planned Parenthood is selling human body parts [Utah Policy, Deseret News, Tribune].
- Jackie Biskupski‘s approval ratings among Salt Lake City voters are sky-high while Mayor Ralph Becker‘s lag behind [Utah Policy].
- Utah may start garnishing the bank accounts of residents who owe back taxes [Tribune].
- Envision Utah unveils a long-term blueprint for managing the state’s growth [Tribune, Deseret News].
- Federal prosecutors say they have turned over hundreds of thousands of documents in the case against former Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff [Deseret News, Tribune].
On this day in history:
- 1825 – The Erie Canal was opened, linking the Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean via the Hudson River.
- 1881 – The gunfight at the O.K. Corral occurred in Tombstone, Arizona.
- 1972 – National security adviser Henry Kissinger declared “peace is at hand” in Vietnam.
- 1990 – District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry was sentenced to six months in prison for his conviction on misdemeanor drug charges. Barry became mayor again in 1995.
- 2001 – The United States passes the USA PATRIOT Act into law.